1.73 Gentlemen's Chat

On the second floor, unbeknownst to Qian FanSheng, a figure was leaning against the window sill, his hand casually gripping his sword hilt.

"That's the wonderful Young Master Qian FanSheng we have just told you about. He is the town lord's heir," SunChen calmly brushed his fingers against his teacup, observing Ji SongLi who was still looking out the window. There was a light smirk on the scholar's lips.

"The reason behind my broken guqin...," HeShan lamented, shaking his head ruefully.

"Alright, I was the one who decided to smack him with the guqin, but still, that was the only matter of course to take when I saw the cockroach belittling YuLan... ." - HeShan mused inside his own mind.

They had just told SongLi briefly of their previous countless encounters with Qian FanSheng. 

Earlier, all of them had actually noticed him across the inn, staring intently at YuLan. However, they left him be as he did not end up bothering their group. SongLi had even purposedly offered his hand to her, making his own presence known to Qian FanSheng. Although at the time he did not know yet who the latter was, he definitely did not miss his lustful gaze at YuLan.

Ji SongLi was smiling as his head was slightly tilted, still staring at the unsuspecting Qian FanSheng.

Despite his lips that were curled up, his eyes were uncharacteristically cold. HeShan shuddered as it was the first time he had ever felt SongLi exuding blood-thirst. Any person that had practiced just a little bit of martial art, or at least knew how to regulate their inner-qi, would be able to notice and feel his killing intent.

Although they were scholars and did not practice martial arts, HeShan and SunChen were well versed in qi breathing technique. Therefore, in this spacious guest room that the four men would share for the night, HeShan, SunChen, and JingMo exchanged wary look at each other as they clearly felt the stifling air.

"SongLi is not even hiding his blood-thirst... . I bet any martial artist who is nearby this inn is sweating... ." - HeShan thought.

"If brother JingHan and SongLi were to fight... . Ohhhh~, I definitely want to watch!" - JingMo thought.

"Qian FanSheng does not have an ounce of martial art. If SongLi decided to strike now, he wouldn't even know how he died." - SunChen already built a memorial altar inside his mind for the man still standing outside the inn.

After a while, Qian FanSheng flung his sleeves and left, still clenching his fists.

The stagnant air disappeared as SongLi let out a sigh and turned his head to face HeShan, SunChen, and JingMo. This time he smiled genuinely, although there was exhaustion and helplessness in his earlier sigh.

In his eyes, there was also trace of reluctance and inner-conflict as he kept gripping and un-gripping his sword hilt.

"Don't worry, SongLi," HeShan finally could sip his tea in peace, "We always try to always be by YuLan's side."