05 | how long?

05 | how long?

ANIKA LET OUT a soft groan as she reached for the glass of water and her ribs hurt. She bit her lip and grasped the glass. Downing the water, she let out a long breath.

The pain in her body hadn't subsided but at least, her head wasn't feeling like it would burst any moment. That was the only relief Anika felt. Her eyes drifted to the clock that hung on the wall. It read 6:15.

Her family would be visiting her today and she didn't know how to feel about that. Sure, she was excited to see them but at the same time, she was nervous too. She had no idea if she was ready to face them, see the looks of horror upon their faces or deal with them treating her differently.

Would they look at her distinctly? And how would she answer their questions?

The splatter of rain drops on the glass window made Anika snap out of her chain of thoughts and she whipped her head in the direction of the window. She loved the rain and she longed to see it but the window was closed.

Before Anika could even try to get up and open the window, the door slammed open and she jumped back in surprise. Her breaths shortened and her heartbeat increased. For a moment Anika was frightened but then, seeing the faces of her siblings, she felt a smile spread across her face.

It feels weird, Anika thought, to smile again.

"Anika Didi," Both Karan and Naina were about to pounce on her but seeing her condition, they halted in their tracks. A thick silence fell upon them as they stared at her with a horrified expression. Anika looked away, feeling tears pool in her eyes and she fisted her hands together to stop them from shaking. A shaky breath slipped past her lips as she tried not to feel nauseated by herself. The scars that lined her body were already a painful reminder of the fact that she was weak and now, that look on their face crushed her heart.

"Oh gods, I have missed you so much." It was Karan's voice-laced with worry and relief-that made her look up to see her brother crossing the room and then he wrapped his arms around her fragile form. He held her carefully, like a glass doll in his arms as he kissed the top of his head. "I have been worried about you so much. Now I am not letting you go anywhere, alright?" He seemed to be talking to himself rather than her but she couldn't care less. The warm embrace of her brother was enough to melt away her worries. He ran his hand through her hair and Anika tightened her hold on him. The tears were a few second away from spilling out of her eyes.

And when Naina, too, wrapped her arms around her, the dam broke. The tears trickled down her cheeks and she felt her throat tighten, thicken with pent up emotions. She buried her face in Karan and sniffed. "Oh my lord, I have-I have missed you...guys a lot," she choked and spluttered. "Damn it, why didn't you two come earlier, huh? Forgotten your sister so easily?" She let go of both of them and wiped away her tears.

"We have missed you too," Naina whispered softly, petting her head. Anika looked up at both of them with tear filled eyes, inhaling deeply to get her shit together. That was when she noticed the engagement ring on Naina's finger. She reached out for her finger and her fingers danced upon the ring. Her head shot up to meet her eyes and questions swirled in her brown eyes. Her stomach turned thinking she had missed out on the most important part in her kiddo's life.

"When did you get engaged?" She mumbles, her fingers still tracing the ring's diamond.

"An year ago, Di," Naina answered and she looked away from her, refusing to meet her eyes.

An uneasy feeling wormed its way into her. Her insides squirmed as Anika realized she had been gone that long. "I have been gone that long," she mumbled to herself, tears brimming her eyes again.

"Well, about that..." Karan began and Anika looked up through her blurred vision. He scratched the back of his nape, "there's something you need to know. The doctor told us not to tell you this but I think it'll be best if you do."

"Yeah, you have the right to know." Naina nodded along with Karan.

"Uh, guys, what are you talking about exactly?" Anika asked, beginning to fidget nervously.

"Dr. Chaturvedi will tell you about that. She'll explain it better so you will not freak out."

"You do realize that you are doing just that right now, don't you?" Anika mocked Karan who pulled a face at her but then straightened up and seriousness washed over his face.

"I am just gonna call the doctor. Be right back," Karan said and ambled out of the door. As he left the room, Naina turned to Anika.

"You don't know how much worried you got us, Di." She said quietly, slipping her fingers in Anika's and began playing with it. It was a small action but Anika found comfort in it because it gave her a homely feeling.

"I had been so scared, kiddo," Anika began, "I didn't think I would ever make it out-" Before she could dive into what she was bottling up inside, the door opened and in walked a woman and Shivaay, followed by Karan. The woman had square shaped spectacles that sat on the tip of her nose and her hair was pulled into a tight bun.

"Anika," The woman addressed her, "how are you feeling?"

"Quite good actually though my body still hurts like hell." A small smile spread across the doctor's face as she shook her head.

"See, the thing is that we ran some tests on you and what we have concluded from your recent behavior and the reports is that you have suffered from a memory loss. Earlier, we thought it was a severe concussion or amnesia that you were suffering but it goes a little more deeper than that." The doctor told her with a pitiful smile and Anika stared at her.

So her memory did fail her. Failure should have been added to the list of things Anika was good at.

"So what have I missed out on?" she asked even though on the inside the pieces of her were breaking into so small that she didn't know if she

would ever be able to pick them up.

"Seems like quite a lot, Maheshwari."

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

A / N

And that's a wrap for chapter 5, ladies and gentlemen. This one was supposed to be long, like 2000+ words but it just felt right to end it here so I didn't drag it.

But rest assured, I will make the next chapter long enough.

Till then, love, Kriti x

P. S-Keep guessing who exactly Shivaay is to Anika (or was?)