37 | mistakes

A/N

One more to go!

Here's the second last chapter and this is probably the worst chapter I have written. I don't know what's wrong but I don't like this chapter.

Also, since this is the second last chapter why don't you guys drop in the questions you have for me, for the characters? Drop them here and the characters will answer them in the Q/A section.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

37 | mistakes

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

A mistake repeated more than once is a decision.

▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁▁

ANIKA NESTLED HER palm against his cheek. She could feel the harsh cold under her fingertips.

But both of them jumped apart when they heard a scream. Granted it wasn’t very loud but they still heard it. Without thinking much, Anika ran past a dazed Shivaay and to her mother-in-law in the living room. Pinky was sweating profusely as she muttered something incoherent under her breath. All Anika could catch were phrases like ‘don’t do this’ and ‘I am sorry’ but she ignored them, shaking her mother out of her revive.

“Maa, maa, it’s going to be okay. You hear me? It’s going to be alright. I am here, I am here. I’ll fix this.” She cooed, canoodling her mother’s head as she wiped away her tears with her thumb pads.

Pinky calmed down a few moments later, her chest falling up and down in a rhythmic pattern. She pulled away from Anika and wiped her face. “I--sorry, it’s been a while since I had a nightmare so vivid,” she shuddered, “just, sorry.”

Anika shook her head softly, “You don’t have to apologise for things you can’t control.” she turned her head to Shivaay who was standing with a frozen look on his face. “Can you get water for us, Shivaay?” He didn’t listen, he was somewhere lost in his world. Anika snapped her fingers and Shivaay broke out of his thoughts.

“Yeah?” he mumbled.

“I said can you get for us?” Anika requested and he nodded his head, moving towards his bag. Anika grabbed the opportunity. “Maa, if you don’t want to do this now, I’ll talk to him. I will. You don’t have to do this when you don’t want to. Yeah, I get it that he wants answers but--” she stopped when Pinky held up a hand, silencing her.

“No, he deserves to know. He deserves to know what his family history is and if it gives answers about you, he more than deserves it. You, my daughter, deserve it.” She brushed a hand over Anika’s cheek and Anika leaned into her touch. It was still a little unfamiliar to her, having a mother. For all Anika could remember, she had been deprived of a motherly touch for a long time. She didn’t even remember what her mother looked like let alone remember what her touch had felt like. “Tell him to ask what he wants. I suppose he doesn’t want to speak directly to me anymore.” The expression on her face was so sad Anika felt her heart break. But she nodded nonetheless.

A few seconds later, Shivaay gave them water and she helped Pinky gulp it down. Anika didn’t miss the way Pinky’s hands shook furiously as she took water from Shivaay and mumbled a thank you. “Sit,” Pinky told Shivaay and he obliged. “Turn on whatever clip is left and ask.”