18 | best friend

A / N

Well, few things happened since I last updated. For starters, I am doing NaNoWriMo this year which is basically where I am going to try and write 50,000 words in the month of November so happy news for you, this story will have more frequent updates since this is my NaNoWriMo project. Second, I got addicted (nothing new there) but for first time in a long while, I got addicted to a show.

Any Riverdale fans here?

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

18 | best friend

ANIKA TIGHTENED HER grip around the doorknob and threw one last glance over her shoulder to see Shivaay watching her intently and when he noticed her look over, he gave her a reassuring smile. So Anika took a deep breath, schooled her face into a blank and opened the door. She had just walked in and closed the door behind her when she halted in her steps.

The room wasn't what she was expecting. Unlike what she had expected, there were two chairs placed and a small coffee table. The floor length window was wide open and there was a beautiful woman–seemingly in her mid thirties–sitting on one of the chairs, staring out of the window. She looked up when she heard the click of the door and a bright smile spread on her face. “Hello,” She greeted brightly and pointed to the chair beside her. “Have a seat,” she offered and Anika blocked hard then, she walked over to the chair. Cautiously, she set herself down and tucked a stray hair behind her ear. She didn't miss how the woman's gaze was fixated on her, carefully observing every detail about her. Anika felt like she was looking through her, like she already knew what she feared the most and what her insecurities were.

“I am Apeksha Jhalani. And you are…?” she trailed off but the smile in her face never faltered.

“Anika. Anika Ma–” she bit her lip when she remembered she wasn't Anika Maheshwari anymore. She was just about to correct herself when Apeksha smiled wider.

“Nice to meet you, Anika.” She said and turned to the window. She propped her chin on her hand and Anika wondered why the woman wasn't already bombarding her with questions, forcing her to tell her everything.

“Why aren't you asking me anything? You don't have any questions?” Anika voiced out, curiosity getting the better of her at the end.

“Oh, trust me, I have plenty of questions but I would rather not make you feel overwhelmed. Let's get comfortable and we'll talk.” Anika nodded her head slowly, “tea or coffee?”

“Coffee with no sugar. Thanks.” Anika offered her a smile, putting up a good act because on the inside her stomach was churning with uneasiness. Or anxiety. Apeksha smiled and moved towards the corner of the room, pouring some coffee from the coffee pot into two cups. It seemed she had already brewed coffee as she had been expecting her to ask for coffee. Apeksha handed her the cup and Anika took it grateful, mumbling a thanks and took a sip.

“So…” Apeksha drawled and Anika's stomach tightened. The moment was here, “how are you doing?”

She failed to hide her surprise. Because her jaw fell open at those words. Apeksha Jhalani surprised her. Oh, this woman did. First the room and now she was asking her how she was doing. But she kept her mouth shut. “I am fine.”

“Ahha, we all have a tendency to lie to ourselves and others because it's easier than telling the truth, ain't it?” Apeksha mused, sipping her coffee and Anika stiffened at her words. This woman could see right through her, reading her like she was an open book. “Anyway, what are your hobbies, Anika?”