28 | happiness

28 | happiness

“WHAT ARE YOU doing?” Anika asked Om as she slid in the chair next to his. He was typing something on his laptop with immense concentration but Anika’s words me him look up.

“Oh, just working on a blog post.”

“What about?”

“Just some stuff that bothers me a lot. You know every time I go out in small towns and people ask me if I am transgender just because I have grown out my hair.” He shrugged, still typing down on his laptop and Anika placed a hand on his shoulder, giving it a squeeze.

She didn't say anything because sometimes actions spoke louder than words could ever.  

“Bhabhi, if you don't come with me to my classes tomorrow I am going to murder you in your sleep,” Gauri threatened Anika because she had yet once again backed out at the last moment. Anika flushed at that but in her periphery vision she saw Om laughing quietly to himself. She kicked his leg underneath the table and he glared at her.

“And you, Omkara Singh Oberoi, didn't I tell you to send someone to pick me up?” Gauri glared at her husband. Now it was Anika’s turn to laugh as Om gulped because a furious Gauri was not something that they both liked. That woman could be scary when she wanted to be. Gauri was just about to start giving him a full blown lecture when the doorbell suddenly rang, cutting her short. She turned around and marched towards the door. Om breathed a sigh of relief but it was rather short lived. “Don’t you think you are getting off the hook so easily, Omkara Singh Oberoi.”

Anika guffawed at Om’s terrified expression. She was about to make a very inappropriate comment when she heard a very sweet voice. “Hi, is Rudra around?” Being the curious girl she was, she ambled over to the door and saw a very pretty girl standing there. She looked Rudra’s age, probably just a year younger at most. She had hair in a side braid and had a bag on her shoulder.

“Yeah, he’s in his room. Come in, I’ll take you to his room,” Gauri replied in just as sweet voice. Her anger that had been bubbling a few minutes had seemed to disappear somewhere. She let the girl inside and both Gauri and Anika led her to Rudra’s room. “By the way, you are…?”

“Soumya. I am friend of his—”

“Friend,” Gauri mused under her breath.

“I just came to give his watch that he forgot at my place yesterday. He seems to be really fond of his watch and I am pretty sure he is worried where he left.” Soumya shot a quick smile in their direction and Gauri pointed to the room that was Rudra’s. Soumya mumbled a thanks and went inside.

“He’s so going to answer my questions,” Anika said.

“Mine too.” Gauri rubbed her together in an excited manner. “Oh, this is going to be good.”

“Now what are you two doing here in front of Rudra’s room?” Shivaay’s voice cut through their questions and Anika turned around to find him standing dressed in a tux. His tie was loose and his hair were dishevelled but Anika couldn’t care less. She hooked her hand in his elbow and waved Gauri off.

“I’ll tell him. You go and tell Om.”

She looked up to him enthusiastically and saw amusement flickering across his eyes. “So, what’s the secret?”

“So, from the past few days, Rudy’s been talking about this girl non stop and guess what?” Anika questioned rhetorically. Shivaay raised his eyebrow for her to go on. “She shows up at our house today and Rudra supposedly was at her place yesterday. You know what I suspect?”