Chapter 2: Something new?

Time flew by and my internship has finally come to an end.

The last 2 months were the best part of my internship since we were posted in the rural outskirts and funnily enough, I've made friends with people whom, even though I've known for the past 5 years, I hadn't considered my friends.

Alas, it all comes to an end.
It seems as if only yesterday I was the new girl in college!

I have 10 days to wrap up with everything here and then I'll be leaving for my home.

I've decided to take a one month break and then hopefully I'll join a hospital near my home as a junior resident.

I'm on my way to my college office to clear some remaining dues when I hear my phone ringing.
I flip open the cover to see it's a call from my aunt.

My aunt is a doctor too and runs her own hospital. She's quite successful alhamdulillah.

I answer her call.
"Assalamualaikum, khala! (term for aunt) How are you?"

"I'm good, dear. I'm calling to inform you that I'll be coming this weekend to Delhi for a conference and I've enrolled you as well. So don't argue and be there! I'll send you the date and address."

"Do I even have a choice?" I say with a chuckle.

"No, it's been ages since we last met. But more importantly, I want some company at the conference. All my friends are coming with their families and I'm the only one alone. Besides, it's at one of the best hotels and the food, which is all that matters to you usually, is excellent, so that's an added bonus. Be there! And on time! Don't make me wait! I love you, sweetie! Okay, I still have a long list of patients waiting. I'll talk to you later. Allahafiz!" And with that she ends the call.

I check my WhatsApp to find her message, "Saturday, 9 am at Hotel Lussuoso"

I smile to myself and place my phone in my bag.

In the evening, Hayat and I go to the mall and decide to have a cinnamon roll. Hayat asks me to order and goes to find an empty seat.
As I'm searching for the caramel pecan cinnamon roll, I feel the cashier's stare. I look up and he gives me a smile. I smile in return as well, feeling awkward.
"2 caramel pecan cinnamon rolls please!" I say pointing at the display tray.

"Would you want to turn it into a combo?" He asks.

"No, thank you!" I say with a polite smile.

"Okay, that'll be 287 rupees ma'am! Could you state your name and number please? We'll add the points to your account."

So I give him the details he asked for.

He then looks up and asks, "You come here often, right? Do you stay nearby?"

"Yes." Is all I say.

"Where do you stay? Do you study here?"

"Umm, yeah I used to..."

"Which place?"

"Greater Kailash" I blurt out.

"Oh, so you studied in the Government medical college?"
Obviously he would've guessed since that's the only college in that area. I facepalm internally at my stupidity.

I just smile and luckily my order arrives.

I take my tray and rush towards Hayat without glancing behind.

"I see you were quite engrossed in conversation with our cashier" Hayat says wiggling her eyebrows.

"Oh Allah! Hayat! I did it again! I gave him all my information. He asked me where I live and I told him! He obviously knows my name and phone number. Can you believe it?"

"Yes, my dumb friend! With you, I can expect it every single time. You never learn!"

"That's not true...ummm.. maybe it is. But I try!"

"Ameerah, I'm just asking you to be a little bolder with saying 'no'. You know it's not safe giving out personal details so easily!"

"Hey, you know I try, right?"

"Ahem, let me count down how many times this story has repeated itself. Last week, while we were returning from the amusement park, you gave out the cab driver your entire family's details. Before that, you told the woman sitting beside us in the train whatever she asked while we were on our way to my home! And these are just incidents in front of me! I also know the ones you've told me when you were traveling on your own. See you think you're so clever, but you're not! You're really naive."

"I don't know how to stay quite when they're trying to be friendly. I'm sorry, Hayat! But I'll really try harder!"

"You're a hopeless case. I just pray Allah keeps protecting you like He has been doing for so long! Remember that time you fell asleep in your cab when you were returning to the hostel and 2 in morning from the airport? That too in a city like Delhi! It's a miracle you're alive!" She said shaking her head and then suddenly she threw her head back and started laughing.

"What is it now, Hayat?" I said, taken aback by the sudden change.

"The cashier seems quite taken with you, you know! He keeps glancing our way." She said with a wink.

"Seriously, Hayat? I mean, come on! No guy from our class ever dared to befriend me and you think he's interested in me? Besides, there's nothing in me worth appreciating anyway. So he probably thinks we're weird with our hijabs and all, you know."

"Ameerah, stop bringing yourself down always! You are pretty! At least to me you're one of the prettiest girls out there! Besides, it's their loss that they couldn't really see the gem that you are! Honestly, it's frustrating how both of my best friends are completely oblivious to their beauty. And beauty does not last. So get over it!"

"Well, that's easy for you to say when you've got so many guys eating out of the palm of your hand, Hayat! Seriously, everyone loves you so much! I love you you so much too!"

"Ameerah, your worth is NOT determined by the number of marriage proposals thrown your way. You're much more than that! I hope someday Sayyida and you are able to appreciate yourselves a little more. Why do I always attract the craziest people? Something is seriously wrong with me!"

This puts a smile to my face. It's rare for Hayat to lose temper. Seeing me smile, she smiles as well. We then finally turn our attention to our cinnamon rolls. They've lost all warmth though. Hayat's phone starts ringing and soon she becomes engrossed in a conversation with her sister.

Later that night I receive a message from an unknown number saying "Hi! What's up?"
I decide to ignore it, deducing who it most likely is, the cashier. The display picture confirms my suspicion.