Chapter 19: His home

Saturday arrived sooner than I expected.

Mama was pretty excited to visit Sebastian's home.
For me, I would say I was probably just curious.

I mean one's home is a reflection of one's personality usually.

Mama was in a Navy blue Indian traditional suit and she asked us to dress in blue too.

I chose a grey gown with navy blue embroidery and a navy blue hijab, grey clutch purse and navy blue pumps.

Isa wore a navy blue waistcoat suit with a grey shirt. He looked very cute.

It was 11:15 when the bell rang.

Mama opened the door saying, "Aww, you wore blue!"

Carrying Isa in my arms I went to the front door and saw Sebastian dressed in a blue shirt with grey pants.

"Wow, what a coincidence!" I said.

"Uhh... Not really. Aunty messaged me yesterday asking me to wear blue." He said running his hand through his hair and then looking down, looking embarrassed.

"Mama! Really!?" I gasp.

"What!? It's fun. Besides, you always match outfits with Isa so I thought it'll be fun!" Mama said.

I saw Sebastian wearing an amused expression and raising his eyebrow at me as if questioning 'Really?'

"So what? It's no big deal really!" I said looking elsewhere but his face and I felt my ears turn hot.

We locked the apartment and sat inside Sebastian's car.

It was different from the one he usually used. It had 2 doors only so he put down the front seat and I climbed to the back.

"Sorry about that, my other car needed some repairs so I sent it to the workshop." He looked apologetically towards me.

"It's no trouble at all!" I said.

Mama sat in the front and Isa and I in the back. But Isa became so excited to sit inside a car and started jumped towards the front to grab the steering wheel.

"Isa! No, baby! Be a good boy!" I called out but he just wouldn't stop.

Sebastian turned to face me and said, "I can take him, if you don't mind."

"But he'll distract you from driving."

"No, not at all!"

"Okay, your call!" I said and handed Isa over to Sebastian.
Sebastian placed Isa on his lap and placed Isa's hands on the steering wheel. He then placed his hands above Isa's and started the car.

Isa was so thrilled words could not describe how happy he looked.

He informed us that it'll take us about 40 minuted to reach his home in Sevenoaks.

"So you commute daily from so far?" I asked him incredulously.

"Oh no, not really. I've been provided accommodation by the hospital inside the campus as well. But I prefer the village. It is much more tranquil."

"Oh!"

"Your car looks lovely." Mama said.

"It was a birthday gift from parents last year."

"Looks pretty fancy." Mama chuckled.

"It is. The top opens up as well."

My ears perked up. I've never sat in a convertible. If only I could ask him to open the top. But I decided otherwise.

Luckily, mama spoke up.
"Really? Can you open it for us?"

He smiled. "Sure"

Throughout the ride, mama and Sebastian conversed while I was busy observing the changing landscape outside my window. Though I struggled a little as the wind played games with my hijab, it felt otherworldly serene.

Isa was having the time of his life, sitting on Sebastian's lap. I think by the end of this ride he'll end up loving his uncle Bash-bash more than all of us combined.

The car came to a stop and heard Sebastian say,
"Welcome to my humble abode!"

I gaped at the majestic house that stood in front of me. It looked regal yet homely at the same time. It wasn't insanely huge either. Just the right balance of everything.

"SubhanAllah, Ma Sha Allah, Allahumma barik! " I whispered to no one in particular.

"Your house looks amazing, son!" Mama said in complete awe.

"Thank you, Aunty. Please, come inside!"

The interior was even better than what I'd expected.

An old lady welcomed us inside.
"Hello, I'm Lina Rodriguez! Kindly take a seat and I'll get some refreshments for you all."

Mama and I sat down on the sofa, taking in our surroundings. Isa still clung to Sebastian.

Isa spoke up, "Mama, pee-pee"

We all chuckled and I took Isa from Sebastian.

Mrs. Rodriguez guided me to the washroom.

I saw that the back side of the house was completely made of glass and had a beautiful pool outside.

I also passed by an indoor gym, which was equipped with all sorts of expensive looking machines.
My mouth formed an 'O' as I passed by it.

Looking at my expression, Mrs. Rodriguez said, "Sir takes his health very seriously."

"It would definitely seem so." I said with a smile.

"Miss, did you know that you're the first woman to come to this house!"

I was surprised. I mean I knew that he was an introvert and all but to be the first woman here, that was really a big deal.

"Mrs. Rodriguez, how long have you been working with Sebastian?"

"Since he bought this home, miss. He is a very good man."

"That, he is." I smiled.

"Miss, is this your son?"

"Yes, he is. His name is Isa." I looked at Isa and said "Say hello, Isa."

Isa buried his face into my neck with shyness and whispered a small 'hello'.

"He's usually very shy and takes long to open up." I said.

"Miss, he looks a lot like Mr. McArdle. Don't you think?"

I smiled. "Yes, a lot have commented on it."

"Sí, he must have inherited it from his father. Must be a handsome man, your husband?"

"I'm not married." I said and smiled, lowering my gaze.
"What about you? Do you have children?" I said, desperate to change the topic.

"Sí, two beautiful children, both married happily now." She said grinning.

"Oh, that's amazing!" I smiled.

We reached the bathroom and I went inside with Isa.