Chapter 22: Close

It had been a week since mama left. Isa had a mild cold since the past 3 days but yesterday night his temperature spiked. Since I had a night shift, I had to hire a baby sitter, albeit with great difficulty.

I still hadn't taken up Sebastian's offer and usually booked a cab. The last time we met at the park, 4 days back, he didn't bring up that topic again.

Today, I had a post duty night off. Isa's fever had gone done significantly, alhamdulillah.

It was about 11 in the morning and I was busy preparing the lunch while Isa sat nearby playing with his toys. Suddenly, I hear him cry out very loud.

I rush towards him and see him clutching his knees and crying very loudly.

"Isa, my baby, what's wrong?" I ask, worried

He just keeps crying. I repeatedly ask him but he wouldn't stop. Then he pukes green vomitus and continues to cry. 

"Where's the pain, Isa, please tell mama!" He points at his stomach and keeps crying. I touch his forehead and see that his temperature is up again. 

Now I start panicking. I grab my purse and pick Isa, running down the stairs and hail a cab. "Please take me to the ER, Royal London Hospital." I'm so tensed I don't even realize the tears streaming down my face. Unable to calm Isa, and not knowing whom to turn to, I call Sebastian.

"Hi, Amy. Is everything okay?"

"Uh, N-no Sebastian, Isa's sick and he k-keeps c-crying and p-pointing at h-his s-stomach." I said in between sobs.

"Amy, you have to calm down. Where are you? I'll come get you."

"N-no, we're on o-our w-way to the E-ER."

"Okay, Amy. Please, just relax. Call me as soon as you get there. I'll be waiting for you both."

"O-okay."

As soon as we reach, I see Sebastian waiting at the door. He rushes towards me, picking Isa and paying the driver simultaneously.

We rush inside and noting down Isa's weight, he lays him down on an empty bed and starts examining expertly, throwing questions at me the same time and orders to others around. 

"What happened?"

"I don't k-know. He had a c-cold since the past 3 days and y-yesterday night his t-temperature soared but he was feeling well this m-morning. Then all of a sudden he starts c-crying while pulling up his knees and then starts p-puking green vomitus."

"Stacy, send blood for CBC, LFT and RFT with electrolytes and start NS at 46 ml per hour. James, give me 9 French NG tube. Natalie, I need an abdominal X-ray and USG stat."

He then turned to me and said, "Amy, he'll be alright, okay? I'm suspecting it's intussusception, but let's wait till the USG report arrives."

We follow as Isa is taken to the radiology department. Dr. Harry does an ultrasound scan as we stand there and confirms Sebastian's diagnosis.

"Amy, we'll perform an air enema and hopefully he'll be all better again. I want you to wait outside. I'll stay here with Isa, don't worry. Is that okay?"

I nodded. I did want to stay but since I hadn't calmed down yet, I knew I'd only interfere. 

I wanted to call and inform mama, but decided otherwise. Baba had still not recovered completely and there was nothing they could do to help. It would only increase their anxiety.

After what felt like ages, Sebastian came out. 

"How is he? Is everything alright?" I asked, still tensed.

"He's completely fine now, Amy. Just relax. He dozed off as soon as it was relieved. I think he was extremely exhausted. We'll shift him to the ward and keep him under observation for a few days, okay?"

I break down again. I was so worried with both Baba and Isa sick that I couldn't control myself. 

I don't know for how long I cry, but when I stop, I realize my head is on Sebastian's chest with his arms around me and his shirt is drenched with my tears. I stiffen. He realises that I was back to my senses and lets go of me. 

I grow hot with embarrassment and lower my head in shame. I couldn't bring my self to face him. 

"Umm... I'll see you in the ward then, okay Amy?" He said after clearing his throat.

"O-Okay, y-yes, yes. Sure." I said keeping my gaze fixed at the floor. 

When we reached the ward, all the staff threw questioning looks at me. Here I was, with an unknown boy, in my department, as an attendant, on my day off.

After Isa was shifted on to a bed, still asleep, all the staff on duty gathered around me.

"Ameerah, what are you doing here with this little boy? Do you know him?"

"Uhh, yeah. He's my son." I said bringing my hand to my head.

The reactions around were incredulous. 

"Amy, you never told me you had a son!" Nancy slightly yelled, pointing a finger at me accusingly.

"Umm, I never got a chance." I said, still with my head down.

"But he looks nothing like you!" "Where's your husband?" "Is he adopted?" "Why didn't you tell us you were married?" Everyone kept throwing questions at me from all directions. 

Before I could answer them, Sebastian came into our view. Everyone parted like the sea did for Prophet Musa.

"How are you feeling now, Amy?" He asked.

I could hear multiple gasps simultaneously behind me. 'Great, now I'll have to face a new set of drama!' was all I could think of at this moment. Sebastian seemed oblivious to the stares thrown at us, though knowing him well enough, I was sure he knew but just didn't care to bother.

"I'm much better, thank you very much, Dr. Sebastian." I said, stressing on the 'Dr.'

He just shrugged nonchalantly. I sighed. Guess it was no use hiding anymore.

"Don't you all have work to do?" He said looking around and everyone scattered around pretending to be engrossed in work.

He pulled a chair from the other bed and sat beside me. "I've talked to the administration. They'll shift Isa to the private room soon."

I turned to face him. "Thank you so much, Sebastian. I cannot thank you enough. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Amy, you have to stop thanking me all the time. I know you'd do the same for me if you were in my place, wouldn't you? Besides, it's my job too, remember? Dr. Sebastian McArdle, General Surgery,  Consultant... ring a bell?" 

"Okay, okay... you got your point across!"

"So, what do you want to eat? I'm famished and I'm pretty sure you haven't had anything either. Am I right?"

"No, I'm alright Sebastian. I just want to see Isa wake up."

"He won't wake up sooner if you don't eat. Come on, Amy, man up!"

"Well, I can't man up! I'm a woman!"

"Oh, sue me!" He says sticking his tongue out.

That makes me throw back my head in laughter. I'd never seen Sebastian act this way. It was so unlike him. When I turned to face him, I saw an expression I couldn't read.

"I'm glad to see you laugh, Amy." He said, not removing his eyes from me.

I grew hot with embarrassment and avoided his gaze.

"Okay, I'll get us something to eat." With that he got up and left.

I raised my head and saw literally everyone staring at me with their jaws to the floor. I just smiled awkwardly and shrugged.