Chapter 18: Touch

Before parting ways, Sebastian said, "Thank you, all of you, for the lovely food and company."

"Oh no, son, Thank you for joining us. We had such a great time!" Mama said.

"Aunty, I'd really be pleased if you all could join me at my home next Saturday for lunch."

"Oh no, no, my son... You don't need to trouble yourself. You can come to our home next week as well!"

" No Aunty, I insist. Please!"

Mama turned towards me, raising her eyebrows for my opinion. I just shrugged.

She shared her head and turned back to face Sebastian.
"Okay, son. We'll join you next week in Sha Allah, I mean if God wills."

Sebastian smiled. "Okay, I'll pick you all up from your home."

"We can just take a cab, son. It's alright."

"No, aunty, please, allow me to pick you all!". He looked quite determined.

Mama sighed. "Thank you, son. Good night and take care!"

With that we all said our goodbyes and turned to go home.

The next couple of days flew by.

It was Thursday and we all were busy at work as usual. I was entering the details of a new patient on the computer when Dr. Anjali came and stood beside me.

"Ameerah, did you examine the new patient on Bed 2?"

"No, I didn't. Dr. McGuire did his work up. Why? What happened? Is anything wrong?"

"Nothing at all, I just wanted to let you know that you should probably examine him because he's a case of hepatic cyst."

"Oh. I see. Did you palpate him? We're you able to appreciate it?" I ask her.

"Yes, I did. Though it was quite difficult and took very long for me to appreciate it."

Just then her phone started ringing. She turns to me and says, "I've got to take this. See ya!" With that she walked out of the ward.

I glanced at the clock. There was just 20 minutes remaining for my shift to end.

I thought I'd go examine that patient Dr. Anjali had mentioned.

"Hello, Mr. James. I'm Dr. Ameerah. How are you doing?"

"I'm feeling better right now."

"Are you in any pain?"

"No, doctor. It's better after starting the medications."

"Do you mind if I examine your abdomen?"

"No, it's okay doctor. Go ahead." And he lifted his t-shirt up for me to examine."

"Okay, I'd like you to take deep breath for me and I'll just slightly press down to feel your liver. Will that be alright, Mr. James?"

"Okay."

With that he took a deep breath and I tried to palpate his liver. Unfortunately, even after multiple tries, I couldn't feel the cyst.

"Is everything okay, Dr. Ameerah?" I jumped hearing Dr. Sebastian's voice from behind.

"Uhh... yes, yes. I was just trying to palpate the cyst that's mentioned in his file."

"Were you able to appreciate it?"

"Not yet." I said, lowering my head.

"Okay, could you please let me examine Mr. James?"

"Sure, sir." I said and stepped aside.

After he asked the patient's permission he went on to examine him. On his very first try, he had felt it." He marked it with a marker and stepped back.

Pointing at the mark, he said, "You should be able to appreciate it here."

"Uhh, okay." I said and stepped forward to feel it. But I couldn't. I felt so incompetent.

"Did you feel it?"

I shook my head, with my hand still trying to palpate.

He stepped ahead and bringing his hand forward he said, "Let me feel for it and then, I'll help you if that's okay with you?"

So I removed my hand and stepped aside again.

He palpated again, and after he had located it, he said, "Place your hand here."

I did and then he placed his hand above mine to position it properly.
As soon as he did so, a jolt of electricity ran up my fingers and I lost all my concentration from the cyst I was supposed to feel.

"Well?" He asked.

I was in a trance and not knowing what I was doing, I just nodded.

"Good." And with that he turned to go, but not before I saw him flex his fingers, the ones which had touched mine.

'Did he feel that too?' was all I was left wondering