Chapter 27: Mum?

The next few days just passed by, with me hearing almost every other day a new rumour involving me.

Apparently, I was a heartbreaker who had dumped several guys, Sebastian being just one of my hundred other conquests. 'Let's take it up a notch and make it more like gazillion, shall we?'

I wore this enigmatic mask to attract men, trapping them into my fatal web of charms. 'Seriously?'

Isa was just one of my many children born out of wedlock, this one being with Sebastian. 'Oh, not to forget my Trisa, born out of wedlock with the Queen of England!'

I'd finally learned to ignore them all, just to keep my sanity in check. I mean if they ever stopped once and analysed what they were uttering, they'd realise how crazy it all sounds!

So as usual, I was returning to the hospital after sharing lunch with Isa at his daycare, when I saw a very posh looking lady enter ahead of me.
She then stopped and it seemed like she swayed a little, holding her head.

I quickly made my way to her. "Hello, ma'am. Is everything alright with you?"

"Oh, it's nothing, my dear. I just have a strong aversion to hospitals, that's why."

"Oh! Okay. Can I assist you with anything, then?"

"No, I'll just be on my way. I came to visit my son. He works here."

"Oh, that's great! Take care then!" I gave her a polite smile.

"Thank you, doctor-?"

"Dr. Ameerah" I say, shaking her hands.

"It's good to meet you. I'll be on my way then."

I nodded and we parted ways.

I reached the wards and got to work.

"Ameerah, could you please take this file to Dr. Sebastian's office?" Nancy called on me.
She had become quite distant since the past few days, probably due to all the rumours.

"Sure!" I said taking the file from her hand, giving her a polite smile, which she didn't bother returning.

I made my way to Sebastian's office, and I saw that his door was wide open.
I was about to knock on the door, when I saw someone sitting on the chair opposite to Sebastian's, with their back towards me.

Sebastian removed his eyes from whoever he was talking to and looked towards me.
"Oh, come in. What is it?"

"I'm sorry to interrupt your meeting but I uh-" before I could finish my sentence, the person turned to face me and then gave me a smile.

"Oh Dr. Ameerah, we meet again!"

Sebastian looks confusingly in between us. "You know her?" He asks his mother.

"Yes, we just met at the entrance not too long ago. But I've heard her name before as well..."

"I didn't know you were Dr. Sebastian's mother. I would accompanied you personally to his office had I known."

"Aha! I remember now. You're the one Mrs. Rodriguez mentioned, the lady friend he brought home."

I smiled and lowered my head.

"I hear you're a very good friend of his, isn't it?"

"Aa-" before I can say anything, Sebastian speaks up.

"Yes, mum. She is."

"Oh, that's brilliant! You have to join his dad and I this weekend for lunch at Sebastian's home."

"Mum, I didn't even invite to both!"

"Oh, we invited ourselves. Now, Ameerah, you have to join us!"

I look towards Sebastian, with a 'what-do-I-do?' expression and he just shrugs.

"I don't know if I can make it. Thank you for the invitation, ma'am."

"Oh, no, no! No excuses will do! You'll have to be there. I'll be expecting you."

"Uh-..., I'll try to make it, ma'am."

"Yes, please do."

"I just can to hand over this file. I'll go back to work then."

"Okay, we'll see you soon!"

I exited his office, closing the door behind me.

Later that evening, while we were at the park, I turned to face Sebastian.
"Sebastian, what do you think I should do about your mother's invitation?"

"I have no problem with whatever you decide, Amy. It's your call."

"But I'd like your opinion."

"Well, if you're okay with them asking questions about Isa, then I wouldn't have a problem."

I remained silent for a while.

"It doesn't matter to me what they think. What does matter is your opinion. Would you want me to accompany you or is it better I sit this one out? Please, just be honest. I wouldn't mind."

"If I'm being selfish, then I'd like you to accompany me. But I know you've already been facing a lot at work. Can you really handle it?"

"Sebastian, I don't want to waste my energy justifying anything to those people at work. I don't owe them anything. But I don't have a problem explaining to your parents."

He smiled and stared into my eyes, too long for my comfort. I broke from his gaze and lowered my head. 

"Thank you, Amy. I'm really glad to have you by my side."

"Me too." I said, not removing my eyes from my hands.