Chapter 3: Careful now

The next day, as I was sprawled across my bed, my phone rang.

I lazily turned to pick up the phone from the side table.

It was my aunt calling.

"Assalamualaikum, khala! What's up?"

"Ameerah dear, we'll be attending my friend Nilima's son's wedding on Saturday night as well. So do pack some extra dresses. Also please do get some jewellery for me, my dress is parrot green in colour with shades of pink and red. Pack anything you find suitable. Don't forget, you'll be doing my makeup as well! Ah, the perks of having a daughter!"

"But khala, I'm in no mood to attend a complete stranger's wedding! Please! Is it an obligation to go? O please spare me from thy torture!"

"Ameerah, Nilima is one of my closest friends from college! And she attended my son's wedding too! So yes, it is an obligation. And you have to accompany me!"

"Alright then. I'll come. At least it'll be fun dressing up hopefully!"

"Okay dear, Allahafiz!" She hangs up.

I groan and pull the blanket over my head again.

In the evening, Sayyida and I watch a horror movie, which more or less becomes a comedy with all the hilarious comments thrown in by Sayyida.

"Wow, the ghost's red lipstick is such a put off"
"Who gives such a creepy doll to their daughter? It's twice her size! Bestseller doll, my foot!"
"Entity scanning app! Wow, I really need an update!"
"Seriously, does she have to play that game in the night!"
"Idiot, you're supposed to turn away from that room which gives you creepy vibes, not go towards it!"

My stomach hurts from all of her hilarious comments.

By the time we're done with the movie, I'm too lazy to return to my room so we just snuggle together on her bed.

"Do NOT pull the blanket from my side, Ameerah! I will not tolerate it this time!" She says trying to give me a theatening glare but failing miserably. I just end up laughing at her.

Then we doze off into a peaceful bliss.

The next day, Zahra, Hayat and Sayyida help me pick the outfit for the wedding. And we had our own dress up session.

Saturday arrives sooner than I expected. I book my cab to Hotel Lussuoso and arrive at 8:50.

My aunt had already reached with her friends at around 7 that morning. She stayed in a small city nearby so they had started early.

I called her up and informed her that I'd be waiting for her at the entrance of the conference hall.

After about 5 minutes, she came and gave me a bone crushing hug.

"Ameerah, you've become so much slimmer!

"Uhh.. yeah Khala, I've lost a few kilos alhamdulillah."

"You look great, my stylish daughter! Now come meet my friends!"

I was introduced to her friends and then we all went inside for the conference. Obstetricians and gynaecologists from all across the world had come to participate. It was a very big event.

At 2 pm, we had our lunch and the conference was to go on till 8 in the evening but since we had a wedding to attend, my aunt and I left early to get dressed.

My aunt wore a long A-line parrot green kurti paired with green palazzos. She paired it with her gold heels and a combination of green and golden bangles.
I did her makeup, keeping it light and sophisticated.
She looked absolutely beautiful, like someone removed 10 years off her age!

I wore a light turquoise kurti with grey gharara and rose gold embroidery. I paired it with my greyish-gold hijab and a jhoomar on the side and a small maang-tika peeping from under my hijab. I slipped on my turquoise and gold bangles and a rose shaped ring. I painted my nails with a turquoise color and topped it with rose gold glitter. It looked amazing. Since my gharara was way too long for me, I wore my 6 inch grey stilettos.

I feared I'd be overdressed, but when we arrived at the wedding banquet, all my fears were put to rest. In fact, I think I looked pretty ordinary.

Nilima Aunty's son's wedding was quite fancy. I could see many girls dressed in designer lehengas.
My aunt informed me it was a 3 crore (half a million dollars) wedding!
Everything and everyone around looked over the top.
They had seemingly endless options for the starters. I was full way before the main course was served.

Obviously, I got the occasional glances and stares because of my hijab as I was the only one wearing it.

By the time we returned to our hotel, I was exhausted and I feared I would get a throbbing headache anytime soon. I prayed Isha as I had my wudu before I put on my makeup and decided I'd remove the nail paint before praying Fajr. I was in desperate need of some fresh air. I dropped my purse in the room and turned to my aunt and said, "I'm going to the rooftop garden. I'll probably be late, don't wait up for me. Just don't shut the door completely as I don't want to take the key card. Okay?"

"But dear, at least change your clothes before you leave!"

"No khala, I'm too lazy for that. Allahafiz!" I kissed on her cheek and left the door slightly ajar so that I didn't need the key card to open it when I returned.

The night sky was beautiful. Even though I couldn't see a single star because of all the pollution, it did had a calming effect on me. I gazed above, with a million questions running in my mind.

I pondered about life and people.

"Why are some people hateful, while others remain peaceful, unbiased and accepting?"

"Why do people hurt others? What pleasure do they find in it?"

"How can someone not feel guilty and live on as if nothing happened after harming others?"

"Why do the poor part with their wealth so easily and the rich have such difficulty?"

"Why do people boast about qualities and experiences that they do not even possess?"

"What would the world be like if we all became tolerant to each other, not imposing our views on anyone but respecting each other and agreeing to disagree?"

"If this hell is so beautiful, how'd heaven be?"

"What is love? What does it feel like being in love? Is it really like the movies where you instantly click? Or does it take time?"

I don't know how long I had stayed gazing at the sky, but I felt like sleep would come to me very soon and if I stayed any longer I'd pass out on the recliner and miss my Fajr prayer.

I then got on the lift and pressed the button to my floor.

By the time I got off the lift, I was probably swaying side to side, I was that sleepy.

I approached our room, I found the door wide open and the lights still on. That's strange. I'm pretty sure I switched off the lights before leaving. "Anyway, it's probably that my aunt had to use the toilet that's why." I figured.

As I entered, I found the room very different. That's funny. Something's amiss and I can't put my finger on it. It's probably because my brain isn't working. Ignoring all the red lights in my head, I switched off all the lights except the night lamp and went straight towards the bed and threw myself on it.
'Makeup, hijab, dress...arggghhh" said the left side of my brain.
'Who cares?' said the right side.

I remove my jhoomar, placing it on the side table absentmindedly, remove my hijab and free my waist length hair from the bun and I'm about to lay down when I hear a very deep, manly voice.

"Ahem!"