Chapter 29: Similarities

Sebastian picked Isa and I from our apartment in his convertible. Of course, this time, I did ask him to open the roof. Also, it was Sebastian who had suggested wearing matching outfits!

I was dressed in a pastel blue gown with pink flowers embroidered on the sleeves and the hem. I paired it with a pink hijab and my pink stilettos. Isa wore a pink and baby blue checkered shirt with jeans. Sebastian wore a pastel blue shirt with black pants.

Isa obviously sat on Sebastian's lap, as if it was his birthright.

Mrs. Rodriguez greeted us at the door with Mrs. McArdle trailing just behind her.

"I'm so glad you could make it, Ameerah!"

"Oh no, the pleasure's all mine!" I smiled politely at her.

Isa kept hiding behind my legs, feeling shy.
"It's okay, Isu, Mama's here. Now be a good boy and say hello to everyone. You're a very good boy, aren't you, darling?

He nodded from behind me and slowly peeked at Mrs. McArdle.

Mrs. McArdle slowly stooped down to Isa's level and brought out a gift for him.
"Here, I bought a little something for you!"

Isa looked at me for approval and I nodded so he moved from behind me to take the gift.

Mrs. McArdle practically gasped on seeing Isa.

"Oh my! The resemblance really is uncanny, you weren't kidding, Lina! Henry come here, quick, you must see for yourself!"

Mr. McArdle, who was in the other room, came striding towards us. On seeing Isa, he gasped as well.

"Wow! If I didn't know any better, I'd say he's a little clone of our very own Sebastian now, isn't he?" Mr. McArdle said.

"I'm Henry, it's a pleasure to meet you." He said bringing his hand forward.

"Uh- dad, she doesn't shake hands with the opposite gender due to her beliefs."

"Is that so?" Henry asked incredulously.

I nodded with a polite smile.

"Well, we learn something new everyday now, don't we!" He said with a cool air.

"Thank you very much, Mr. McArdle. It's my pleasure to make your acquaintance as well." I said, giving him my best smile.

"Just call me Henry." He said with a small smile.

"Now don't just keep standing there, come on in! Make yourselves at home, all of you! Lunch will be ready soon. But first we've got a lot to talk about. Let's go sit in the living room." Mrs. McArdle said.

"Thank you, Mrs. McArdle!"

"Oh, I feel so old suddenly. Just call me Elizabeth." She said with a chuckle.

Isa didn't leave Sebastian's side while we all sat down on the sofa.

"So, Ameerah, tell me, did you adopt Isa?"

"No, Elizabeth. He's my biological son."

"So where's the father?"

Sebastian looked at me with sympathetic eyes and gave me a nod.

"Uh- actually, I don't know Isa's father. I uh- was..." I kept hesitating.

Sebastian, seeing me hesitate, spoke up. "Mum, I'll tell you all about Ameerah's story later. First tell me, what's for lunch today?"

Elizabeth's expression gave away that she knew what Sebastian was trying to do but she didn't press on the matter any further.

Isa had gradually opened up to both Henry and Elizabeth, and both were very busy entertaining him.