Chapter 11: Who is he?

After 6 months away from my Isa, finally, the wait was about to come to a finish.

Mama and Isa were to arrive tomorrow in the morning.

I was fidgeting throughout the day. It wasn't that apparent to others probably, but I could hardly contain my excitement.

We had just finished with the rounds, when Dr. Sebastian turned towards me and asked me, "Dr. Ameerah, did you examine the patient on Bed 5?"

"Umm..." I hesitate a little.

"Please, follow me to my office."

"Yes, sir." And I quietly follow him as he leads me into his office.

"Take a seat." He orders me.

"Thank you, sir." I say quickly sitting down.

"Is there a problem?"

I'm surprised by his question. "No, sir. Not that I'm aware of."

"You seem quite distracted. Is everything alright at home?"

"Yes, sir."

"Are you sure?"

I contemplate whether I should tell him about my pent up excitement, but decide otherwise.

"Yes, sir." I say lowering my gaze.

He tries to read my expression while slowly leaning back on his chair. "Alright, you make leave then. Please be careful."

"Thank you, sir." I say with a polite smile and turn to leave.

"Dr. Ameerah, you can come to me if you're facing any problem. I would not like it to interfere with patient care. Am I clear?" He says with a slightly stern voice.

I can feel the baby hair starting to stand at the back of my neck. Taking a few seconds to compose myself, I turn towards him and say, "I'm sorry, sir. I'll be more careful next time."

"Yes, please do. You may leave."

"Thank you, sir." And with that I dash out of his office, exhaling forcefully.

'Why does he scare me so much? ' I kept wondering.

I had opted for a 24 hour shift today so that I had tomorrow off.

The night was so busy with so many patients coming in that I didn't even realize when my shift came to an end at 7am.

Mama and Isa would be arriving at around 11 am so I rushed home to get some much needed rest. Mama said she'd take a cab so I needn't worry about it.

I still woke up at around 10:30 to fix them some breakfast.

The bell rang at around 11:15 and I was over the moon.

I ran towards the door and held it wide open and gave a bone crushing hug to Mama and Isa whom she was carrying.

"Assalamualaikum, mama! I missed you both so much! I'll quickly go and get your luggage from the cab and then we'll catch up! Isuuuuu!" I said pulling his cheek and he just giggled.

I ran downstairs towards the cab, paid the driver and brought the luggage bags to my apartment.

"Mama, go freshen up while I take care of Isa." I say taking Isa in my arms.

"Okay, my dear." She says handing him to me.

Isa giggles again.

"My baby, mama missed you. Did you miss me too? Is granny taking good care of you? " I say tickling him and relishing his sweet giggles.

"My baby boy is growing up so fast. Now who's a good boy? Show mamma how he walks!" I say placing him on the floor.

As soon as he's on the floor, he starts running all around the apartment.

"Isa, be careful baby, don't touch that, you might get hurt!"

"Mama, ball!" He says, handing me a small red ball I brought for him recently.

"Yes, red ball! Mama brought it to play with you! Would you like to go to the park with me?"

"Mama, yes play park!"

"Okay, Isa, we'll go after you've had your breakfast! Mama made your favorite, Broccoli!"

"No, no bottoli!" He says with a pout.

I throw my head back laughing. "Okay, Isu, how's strawberry with banana?"

"Yesh, mama, yesh!! He says all excited.

It's his favorite. Mashed fresh strawberries with bananas. I sprinkle it with some finely ground almonds, cashews and walnuts and add a touch of honey.

I try feeding him but he says, "Give spoon. Me eat!"
He's fiercely independent! I hand him the spoon and tie his bib around his neck.

He happily stuffs his mouth, with half of it ending up all over his face and bib. The sight of him causes me to throw back my head in laughter. He's just too adorable!

After breakfast, we all go to the park and I play with Isa for a while. We return home and all of us take a much needed nap.

We decide to go to the supermarket to stock up. I deliberately didn't stock the kitchen since I knew my mother would not be very pleased with my choices. Besides, she loves grocery shopping.

So, we head out at around 5 in the evening.

Isa becomes super excited with all the variety of toys and chocolates. He refuses to sit on the baby holder in the trolley.

"Mama, let's just let him run around a little. He's too excited. I'll keep an eye on him!" I say.

"Okay."

As his feet touch the floor, Isa runs towards the toys section.

"Mama, car!" He says, pointing to a large remote controlled car.

"Isa, mama will buy you another one. This is too expensive my dear." I say, after checking the price. Yes, unfortunately I had budget issues and I could not afford to spend too much currently.

Isa gives a sullen pout.

I lift another smaller and cheaper car, then show him, "Would you like this one?"

And with that, a full blown smile spreads across his face. "Yesh, mama, yesh!" He says with all the energy back.

I throw my head back in laughter with all his antics. I suddenly feel like I'm being watched.

But then Isa starts running to his left and I turn to see him collide with a tall man.

"Isa!" I say going over towards him. The man has already lowered himself to Isa's level and is saying something I cannot make out.

He then stands up. I'm a little surprised to see Dr. Sebastian.

"Umm good evening, sir!" I say, trying to figure out how to seem less awkward.

Isa isn't letting go of Dr. Sebastian's leg and keeps tugging his pants as if to say, "lift me!"

"May I?" Sebastian asks seeking my permission to lift him.

"Sure." I say with a polite smile.

Isa is usually not that friendly. So I've still not recovered from this element of surprise.

"Who is he?" He asks.

But before I can reply, my mother comes from behind me and says, "He's my son."