Chapter 25: Babysitter

In the afternoon, Martha, the nurse on duty, came to check on Isa.

"Hey, Dr. Ameerah! How's your son doing?"

"He's doing very well, Martha, thank you."

"He's adorable!" She chimed.

"Thank you, Martha"

"So, where's your husband?"

"Oh, I'm not married. I don't know where his father is."

"Oh, separated?"

I didn't want to lie but I didn't want to divulge anymore information. So I just remained silent. Perhaps she took it as a cue to not delve further.

"So, the whole hospital is abuzz with rumors of you and Dr. Sebastian. I'm pretty sure I passed by a couple of wailing females. Some even suspect that Isa is Dr. Sebastian's son, since the resemblance is so uncanny!"

'And the drama begins...' I think to myself.

"Well, they are just that, rumours. And I'm sure those wailing females you passed by were attendants just crying over their relatives." I said and smiled her way.

"But you broke every staff's heart here, Dr. Ameerah! He's barely spoken a word to anyone in all his years here, and then, he spends a whole night with you!"

I gasped. That sounded very wrong. Of course they're going to assume things. The whole hospital probably knew by now that he had stayed the night here.

"There's nothing much to it. He's just a very good friend of my mother, that's why." I said, pretending to be nonchalant.

"Oh!"

I studied her face and she seemed relaxed after hearing my statement. Well, I really hope she conveys it to the others too. I don't want to be the star of any drama.

Sebastian came to visit us after his shift and we took Isa to the playroom and the garden as well.

Thankfully, he didn't stay the night.

We were discharged the very next day in the afternoon.

Sebastian dropped us home, but not before making me agree to his offer to pick and drop us. He also said Mrs. Rodriguez could babysit Isa on my night shifts but I refused to take any more favours.

"But Amy, I don't trust just anyone with Isa. It's too dangerous."

I did agree with him. But what could I do?

"Please, Amy. I beg you to reconsider. Or, if you don't mind, can I take care of Isa?"

I stared at him incredulously.

He just shrugged and said, "Look, I know he is your son and you have full right to make all decisions concerning him, but please, do consider. If it'll help you feel any better, you can even pay me the amount you pay usually. Besides, I want to add a little variety to my CV!"

That made me throw my head back in laughter. His sense of humour was definitely improving with every passing day.

"Alright, if you're so glad to play babysitter, I'll hire you and pay you.
No excuses. And you can back out anytime like a real babysitter does if it overwhelms you." I say with a chuckle.

"Thank you, Amy! You just made my day." He smiled at me sweetly.

And... My heart skipped a beat... again.