Chapter 26: Amusement park

The next day I return to work, I feel everyone's stares upon me.

As soon as I reach the ward, everyone surrounds me and start firing questions at me.

"How do you know Dr. Sebastian?"
"Are you both seeing each other?"
"Is he the father of your son?"
"Is your son adopted?"
"How did you guys meet?"
"Is it true he's your mother's good friend?"
"Did he really stay the night with you in the hospital?"
"Are you both engaged?"
"When did you marry?"
"Do you live together?"
"Is it true that you coaxed him into a relationship?"
"Is it true you guys had a one night stand?"

Oh my Allah! The audacity of these people to ask such private questions! It was absolutely outrageous!

I silently prayed to Allah to help me control my anger.

I remained silent and eventually people stopped with their questioning and waited for me to answer.

I had decided to stay silent anyway but Sebastian showed up for the rounds and everyone dispersed.

Throughout the rounds, people kept throwing glances our way, trying to catch any new information to stir a rumour.

And the other half of the day, I avoided people like the plague, pretending to be too engrossed with work. Some were being extremely nice while some threw me dirty looks.

By the end of day, I was too exhausted with everything.

After picking Isa from daycare, I met Sebastian at the parking lot where others were also present and they kept glancing our way in curiosity.

"Is everything okay, Amy?"

"Uhh- yeah, sure."

"You look very tired."

"I am."

"So will you go to the park today?"

Isa shouted excitedly, "Mama, park!"

"No, Isu, my baby. Mama's tired today. Please?"

"Let me take him, Amy."

By now, I don't know why, but I was very annoyed with everything and I yelled "No!" a little too loud.

Isa and Sebastian both looked at me in horror. I was shocked with my behavior as well.
I almost never lost my temper or raised my voice.

By the time I'd realised, tears were already streaming down my face.

I put my head in my hands and tried to compose myself.

"I'm r-really s-sorry for y-yelling at you, S-Sebastian." I said in between sobs.

"Mama." Isa came and sat on my lap, bringing his baby hands to wipe my tears. "Don't cry. Mama, good girl."

I hugged him and smiled and cried at the same time. "Y-yes, mama will be a g-good girl. Mama will not sh-shout. J-just like my b-baby!" I said in between sobs.

I was being such a bad mother and so unlike myself. May be it was due to my menses. I don't know.

After a long time, I'd dried my tears completely.

"I'm sorry, Sebastian. Today wasn't a very good day for me. I shouldn't have yelled at you. I'm very very sorry." I looked at him with pleading eyes.

He smiled sweetly. "No, Amy. It's okay. Let's take you home."

"Umm- let's go somewhere else?"

"Where'd you like to go?"

"Anywhere."