Chapter 37: Name me

Mama and Baba both had flown in from India to see me. Henry and Elizabeth were also staying in London to take care of us. We had been shifted to the Royal London Hospital.

It's been a week since that day. Everything around felt surreal. Marcus was sentenced to life imprisonment for attempted rape and homicide.

Apparently, when I'd called Sebastian that day, his phone recorded the entire telephonic conversation and it had been submitted as evidence. Sebastian had even testified against his own brother.

The story gained world-wide coverage since the McArdles were one of the most influential names in the business world.

It was very painful to see Henry and Elizabeth suffer for no fault of theirs. They were chased by journalists all the time. My own parents were in too much pain as well.

But a relief to both the sides was our little angel, Isa.

Henry and Elizabeth pampered him like there was no tomorrow. It helped them somewhat evade the loss of their son.

We all were healing slowly, both mentally and physically.

Three months later:

We were all gathered at Sebastian's house for lunch. Elizabeth was engrossed in conversation with Mama while Henry and Baba were discussing politics.

Isa was busy with his sketch book. And he was getting much better at it every single day. I guess he inherited more than just his uncle's good looks.

Sebastian and I just sat there, observing the little kiddo.

"Amy, would you like to go for a walk with me? I have something I'd like to share with you."

"You sure you'd be okay with walking, Mr.?" I stick out my tongue at him.

He just rolls his eyes and shakes his head.

"Okay, let's go, Bash-bash!" to which Sebastian chuckles.

We head out to the front lawn and walk slowly.

"Amy, if you could choose a name for me, what would you like it to be?"

I turn to face him. "Why?"

"Just choose one. Your favourite name?"

"I like calling you Sebastian. I think it suits you the most. It has grown on me and I'd find in difficult to address you with any other name. Now tell me, why are you acting so silly? That's my forte, not yours!" I tease him.

"I wanted to let you know that I've accepted that Prophet Jesus and Prophet Muhammad are brothers in Islam. I've taken the next step in my spiritual journey." He paused. "I'm a Muslim now, Amy."

I gasp.

He takes a deep breath in. "Amy, you probably know by now how I feel for you, right?"

I jerked my head towards him in disbelief. "What do you mean by that?"

He sighs and runs his finger through his hair. "Let me just show you what I mean." With that he comes and stands in front of me and kneels down on his knees. He removes a box from his breast pocket bringing it in front of me and pops it open.

"Will you marry me, Amy?"

I stare at him incredulously. I can feel the blood pumping in my ear. My heart is beating a gazillion times a minute. I want to shout out a 'yes' but what comes out of my mouth leaves both of us disappointed.

"Why?" I hear myself say.

"Why? Amy, you seriously don't know?" He runs his hand through his hair again.

"Is it because of Isa?" I ask. I know I should have just said 'yes' but I knew deep down I had grown too fond of him or maybe, probably... 'Oh my Allah! I might me in love with him!'
And i wanted him to feel that way about me as well.
All my life I'd felt unworthy of love, so I wanted to know if he shared even the slightest bit of my feelings for him.

He stared at me dumbfounded.
"Really, Amy? That's what you think?" And he throws back his head and starts laughing.

I just look at him, puzzled by his reaction.

He stops laughing and finally turns to me and says, stifling a laugh, "I see you didn't take my advice of being observant quite seriously. You really should pay more attention to people around you!"

"Well, and I told you that I kept my guards down when you're around me, now didn't I?" I say with a huff, turning my face away from him.

"Why do you do that, Amy?" He asks in a soft voice, taking a step closer to me but still keeping a comfortable distance between us.

I look into his eyes. And I decide to tell him the truth.
"I think it's because I feel safe around you, because I trust you and because I -"

"Because you?"

I clear my throat and turn my face away from him.
"Some things are best said after getting married." I say as I stifle a smile. I turn my eyes back to him and smile at him.

"Yes, Sebastian. I'd like to marry you very much." I take the beautiful ring and put it on my ring finger.
I then bring my hand forward to show him. He gives me a nod and then smiles.

And that smile... it takes my breath away.