Chapter 31: Alderley Edge

Elizabeth called me a few days back to remind me to join them the coming weekend- which is tomorrow.

We'd leave as soon as our shifts end tomorrow, stay there for 2 days and return early morning on Monday, just in time for work.

Elizabeth sounded quite eager to show us around their vast property in Alderley Edge, especially Isa.

...............................

The weather was very pleasant and the road cut straight through the forest.

We take a break at a motorway service area to freshen up and enter a small shop to grab some snacks.
I carry Isa in my arms as we browse the 'chips' section.
"Which one would you like, Sebastian?" I ask him browsing through the options. He doesn't answer. "Sebastian?" I turn my head towards him and I see an angry expression on his face, with his head turned to his left. I follow his eyes and see him glaring at a middle-aged man.

"Sebastian?" I call out again.
The man leaves and Sebastian turns to face me.
"What happened?" I ask

"Nothing, Amy."

We pay for our snacks and head back to our car. After a while, Sebastian turns his head towards me and says, "You're not very observant, are you?" And shakes his head.

"Uhh- yeah. I'm really bad at faces and a poor observer, and I definitely don't pride myself on that. But trust me, I've gotten a lot better."

"Sometimes, Amy, you worry me a lot."

"Why?" I ask with a quizzical look.

"You really didn't see what that man was doing back there, did you?"

"Uhh- what? No, what happened?"

He smiles. "Well, it's probably for the best that you didn't, so let's just keep it that way. But seriously Amy, try and keep your guard up always, okay?"

"But I do! I only let my guard down when you-" I stop mid sentence and lower my head in shame.

"When I what, Amy?"

I try to see his face from the corner of my eyes and see a mischievious glint in his eyes and a smile playing at his lips.

"It's nothing, keep your eyes on the road! You don't want us to die now, do you?"

"Nice try, Amy." He smirks. "But I'll let it go just this one time."

"What?" I fake innocence.

He just smiles and looks ahead.

We reach Alderley Edge at around 9 pm. An old lady opens the door and gives a motherly smile at Sebastian.

"Maria!" Sebastian goes forward to embrace her.

"Welcome home, my child!" She says, hugging him back.

She looks at me and smiles. "Welcome, dear. I'm Maria Gonzalez."

"It's very nice to meet you. I'm Ameerah, and this here, Isa, is my very strong, brave son." I say, trying to encourage Isa to open up. He still has his back facing Maria.

He then slowly turns to face Maria, who gasps on seeing him. "A baby Sebastian!" She practically shouts.

Isa becomes frightened and immediately buries his face again into my neck.

"Maria, stop scaring the baby! Ameerah, it's so good to see you again! Come on in." Elizabeth says coming towards us.

Maria takes our bags and Elizabeth instructs us to freshen up and join at the dinner table, since we were already too late for dinner.

We find Henry and Elizabeth already seated around the dinner table, waiting for us.

"Take a seat. It's good to see you all again." Henry says with a tight-lipped smile. He does not look too pleased.

I exchange looks with Sebastian and he just shrugs.

We all take our places and Henry recites the grace out loud and I read the dua.

"Your brother called to inform that he'll try to make it by tomorrow evening. I had strictly instructed him to be here today but no, he said he still has some more work to complete."

"It's okay, mum. Besides, we're here till Monday morning, so we'll have enough time."

"Hmm, but I was really looking forward to having dinner with the both of you. He stresses too much about work. And unfortunately, I think it is Henry and I who are to blame for that." Elizabeth says glumly.

We all then remain silent, only the noise of clinking cutlery filling the room.

After dinner, we all head to our assigned rooms to rest.