Chapter 14: Bloom

"I don't know Isa's father."
After a long pause, I continued,"I was abused."
I didn't turn to look at him. But I tried to read his expression from the corner of my eye.
He didn't have any sort of disgust/guilt/shame in his expression. He just seemed to be in deep thought.

After a while, he spoke.
"I'm very sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable in any way. I didn't want to pry or meddle with your affairs. But what I can promise you is that I'll will never break your trust."

I turned towards him and smiled.
"You didn't make me feel uncomfortable in any way. I told you because I wanted to."

I paused. Then I went on, "Mama had to face many accusations back home. She shielded me from it all. That's why she told you what she did."

He smiled. "So why did you tell me the truth?"

"Do you have to know?" I asked.

"I think I already do."

I turned towards him and smiled. "Do enlighten me and let me be the judge of your assessment."

"I've observed you long enough to know how you think. You probably wouldn't be able to sleep comfortably after lying."

I stared at him wide-eyed. It was like he read my mind.

"Your expression tells me I've deduced correctly." He replied with a smile.

He then turned towards me again and seeing the big 'how?' written all over me, he said, "It's the little things that I've observed. You never use anyone's pen without prior permission. You make sure to return each penny which remains unused after a contribution. You never take home hospital supplies like many others do. You always make sure the duty hours are as equal as possible, even if you end up doing more."

He sighed and then continued, "Ameerah, I've reached so far because of my keen sense of observation and it is one thing I'm proud of. I'm usually a very good judge of character."

I was astonished and grateful at the same time. But then doubt started clouding my mind with the question, 'why me?'

Of course, the mind reader he was, he smiled again.
"Because I trust you."

Finally, we reached the ice cream truck and bought an ice cream for each of us. Since mama had was running a cold, we didn't get one for her.

Isa was happily licking away his ice cream sitting on Dr. Sebastian's shoulders.

"Sir, I think you should take Isa off of your shoulder, he's a very messy eater."

"You can call me Sebastian outside the hospital."

Before I could respond, Isa dropped a huge chunk of his ice cream right on top of Sebastian's head and shouted, "Bash-bash, ice cream fall!"

And I just couldn't contain my laugh anymore. I threw back my head in laughter as I saw the ice cream melting and streaming down his face.

He was surprised at first, but then threw back his head in laughter as well.

We were still laughing when we reached our spot.

Mama observed the mess in front of her and also threw a fit of laughter.

We all laughed for so long that our stomachs hurt and there were tears in our eyes.

After trying very hard to compose ourselves, mama spoke,
"Son, come with us, we'll help you clean up."

"No, ma'am, I'll just head home straight. Don't trouble yourselves for me please."

"Well, it's no trouble at all, son. Please, I insist."

He turned towards me, as if asking if I was okay with the suggestion.

I nodded.

"Sure, ma'am."

"Just call me aunty!" Mama said with a smile.

Since both Isa and Sebastian were already a mess, Isa remained seated on his shoulders, playing with his hair.

Mama trailed behind and snapped a photo of us without our knowledge.

She then jogged ahead of us and said, "Smile!" *Click*

Sebastian spoke, "Aunty, do send me that picture please."

"Sure, I'll take your number from Amy."

He turned his head towards me and said, "Amy sounds nice."

"Yeah, they use it sometimes, when they're overwhelmed with love for me." I said with a chuckle.

"Would you mind if I called you Amy?"

I was surprised and then I smiled. "Sure, why not"

We reached my apartment in about 10 minutes.

Sebastian went into the bathroom while I took Isa to the sink and cleaned the mess he'd created.

"Mama, could you please hand Sebastian a fresh towel from my closet?"

"Sure, my dear!"

He came out with his hair and the upper half of his hoodie completely damp.

The weather outside was quite cold and I feared he might catch a cold.

"Please switch on the heater and sit in front of it." I said.

He smiled politely and did as I had instructed.

Mama came from the other room and said, "Son, now, since you're here already, you have to join us for dinner!"

"Thank you, aunty but I wouldn't want to impose."

"You're welcome to join us. We were going to cook dinner anyway so it won't be any trouble." I said with a smile.

"Yes, son, we'll really enjoy your company!" My mama spoke.

"Then I'd love to join. Thank you very much."

I moved towards him with Isa in my arms and said in a hushed voice, "Can you handle spicy food?"

"Not really" he replied at the imitating my manner.

I smiled. "Figured so. Don't worry. I'll take care of it."

I handed Isa to Sebastian and moved towards the kitchen.

"Mama, let me take care of dinner." I said to her.

"Are you sure? Let me help you."

"I'll be fine in Sha Allah, mama. Don't worry!"

So mama exited the kitchen and moved towards Isa.

After an hour, we had our dinner; salmon with mixed vegetables and rice, salad and caramel pudding for dessert.

Mama kept serving Sebastian until I stopped her, which was only after he gestured me to stop her with pleading eyes.

It was quite a hilarious sight to behold. More so because of Sebastian.

Here was a man whom no one dared to oppose inside the hospital and now he's being viciously attacked on both sides by 2 harmless creatures, namely Isa and mama.

He thanked us profusely until we bade our goodbyes, but not before receiving another invitation (which was more like an order) from mama to join us for lunch on Saturday.

After he left, suddenly, the house seemed empty. Isa had to be distracted to let go of Sebastian. He had grown very fond of him in just a day.

We washed the dishes and prayed Isha.
After the usual bedtime routine of supplication and recitation of Surah Mulk and Sajdah, we all went to bed.