Chapter 13: Honest

"He's not my brother. He's my son." I say, with my gaze fixated on my hands.

I feel his head jerking up. But he stays quiet for a while.

I raise my head to look at him and I see the hesitancy written across his face, as if he wanted to know more but couldn't bring himself to ask.

But I wasn't willing to give out more details unless I was asked. So I remained quite as well.

Finally, after a very long pause, he asks, "Are you married?"

"No." I reply and again lower my gaze.

His mouth forms an 'o'

By now, he seems to realize that he has probably intruded into someone's private affairs more than he has ever in his entire life.

And I am slightly curious about this sudden change in behavior as well.
My throat itches to get out a 'why?' but I rationalize against it.

He clears his throat and says, "Okay, Dr. Ameerah, you may leave. Please do send Dr. McGuire to my office."

As I'm about to leave, I give a final glance towards him, only to find him immersed in some deep thought.

Nothing unusual occurs for the next few days.

Every evening I look forward to returning home to Isa and dread leaving him behind the next morning.

Almost everyday we all go to the community park nearby as soon as I return home.

Today, since I was caught up in some work, I returned home a little late.

As soon as mama opened the door, Isa leapt into my arms.

I kissed him on both his cheeks and tickled him in the belly.

He giggled and said, "Mama, late! Mama, park!"

It was getting late and the sun was about to set soon. So we had to hurry.

As soon as we reached the park, Isa threw his ball and pointed at it, saying "Mama, play ball!"

I ran to go fetch it.

I left my mother to sit down on the bedsheet she'd spread on the grass while Isa and I went towards the swings.

After a while, when Isa got bored with the swing, he ran towards his grandma with me running behind him.

I failed to notice that my mother had someone sitting next to her, as I shouted, "Mama, we're about to pounce on you! Save yourself!" All while running with Isa ahead of me.

But as I got closer, I saw Isa in someone else's lap.

"Dr. Sebastian?"

He turned towards me and with a polite smile said, "Hello Ameerah!"

My mother then spoke up, "Oh, he was just taking a walk down the street when spotted me so he came over to greet me. I was getting bored so I asked him to join us."

"Mama, he's a very busy man. Did you ask if he had any prior engagement?" I said in a hushed voice.

He obviously heard me because he said, "No, I've got no prior engagement today. And it's my pleasure to join you all."

I stared at him as if he had grown two heads. This was absolutely not the Dr. Sebastian I knew.

"If you don't mind, can I play with Isa for a while?" He asked, looking between mama and I.

"Sure, son! Go ahead!"

As he left, I turned my head with a flabbergasted expression and said, "Son?"