Alone

Kate's POV

I hear a voice screaming and look down the hallway only to see darkness. I decide to make a break for it and run down the stairs, out of the building. I find myself in the middle of the forest and look around frantically for any hope of direction.

I hear voices approaching and decide to choose a direction before running as fast as my feet will take me. All I see is blurs of dark green and brown as I run. I look back for a moment, which was a mistake, because I trip over a fallen log and cut my leg open on a sharp piece of wood. I cry out in pain, surely giving away my location, and try to get up but fall right back down.

"I have a visual." I hear someone speak. "Closing in."

I look around in the darkness and eventually make out three figures coming closer. I begin to scream for help, knowing that none will come, as the men approach me.

I wake up in a cold sweat, not sure of what time it is or where I am exactly. Once I calm down, I realize that I'm in Steve's room and look at the clock to see that it's 3am.

I sigh, wiping my forehead of the sweat dripping from it. I didn't always have these nightmares--actually, it would be more appropriate to call them flashbacks. They started a few months ago after I received a death threat in the mail at work.

I pull the blankets away and look down at my left leg to see the faint scar going up the side of my calf and sigh. Nobody knows this part of me, not even Tony. When I moved away for a few years, I unknowingly became business partners with the leader of HYDRA. Eventually I found out what their 'business' really was and tried to back out.. long story short: they didn't like my decision and decided to chastise me for it.

I lay there in Steve's bed, staring up at the ceiling as I try to fall asleep. After about a half hour of struggling to go back to sleep, I decide to get up.

I quietly open the door and walk across the hall before slowly opening the door to reveal Bucky asleep on the bed and Steve laying on the floor with a few pillows and blankets. I sigh, knowing he's on the floor because of me, and carefully make my way over to him.

"Steve?" I whisper, gently shaking him. He doesn't even flinch. "Steeeve." I groan, continuing to shake him.

His eyes slowly flutter open and he sits up once he sees me. "Kate? Is everything okay?" He asks, his low voice sending chills up my spine.

"I can't sleep." I say, sitting beside him on the floor.

"Nightmare?" He asks, I nod. "Do you want to talk about it?" He asks again, I shake my head.

"Can you just.. Would you mind.." I sigh. "I don't want to be alone right now."

Steve picks up the pillows and quickly folds the blankets before setting them at the foot of Bucky's bed. He grabs my hand and leads me back to his room through the dark. He carefully closes the door and sits in the chair in his room.

"What are you doing?" I ask.

"Waiting for you to fall asleep. I'll be right down here if you need me." He says, gesturing to the pillow and blanket on the floor.

"Steve." I say, folding my arms. "Get your cute butt in this bed right now."

He looks up at me. "Are you sure? I don't want to-"

"Yes, I'm sure." I cut him off. He nods and crawls onto the bed, moving over so there's space for me. Once he's settled, I lay beside him. I turn on my side so that I'm facing him and lay my head on his chest.

"So, you think my butt is cute?" He asks. We both laugh a bit, lessening the awkward. After the laughter dies down, we lay in the comfortable silence until we both fall asleep.