Hurting

Bucky's POV

Everyone does their own thing while training and once we finish I realize that Steve never came down. We all make our way back up to the kitchen to get something to snack on.

The elevator doors open to reveal Kate and Steve making out on the couch and everyone gasps.

"What the hell is this?!" Tony yells, making the both of them jump. "You know what? Don't mind me. In fact, forget I ever existed."

"Tony!" Kate yells, running after him and leaving Steve on the couch.

"So she chose you?" Clint asks Steve as we join him in the living room.

"I'm not sure." He sighs. "It seems like it but I feel like something is holding her back."

"Either way, good job bud." I wink at him and smile despite the hurt coursing through my body. Steve smiles and we all turn to the tv to watch Family Feud.

***

About a half hour has passed since Kate ran after Tony and I decide to head upstairs to check on her. As I approach her door I hear frustrated groans and things crashing before the sound of sobs reach my ears.

Kate's POV

"Tony." I yell again, catching him in the elevator. "Tony, please." I stand in front of him but he avoids eye contact.

"No, Kate. I get it." He snaps. "You chose him. I'm happy for you, really." He clenches his fists. "I just wish I wasn't an idiot. I wish I wasn't expecting you to come back to me. I wish I wasn't expecting to grow old with you and have our own little family."

"Tony.." My voice softens.

"Please, Kate. Just leave me alone." He says, looking me in the eyes. The elevator doors open and he walks to his room, leaving me to go to my own.

I slam my door behind me and feel the room shake. I pull my suitcase out of the closet and throw it open on the floor. I frustratedly begin to pack my things, making a mess while doing so.

I catch a glimpse of one of the pictures that I have framed on my shelf and I pick it up. I examine the smile on my face as well as Tony's and remember the day as if it was yesterday. I clench my jaw as tears begin to roll down my cheeks and drop the frame to the ground. I fall to the ground and begin sobbing, not realizing that the shattered glass is piercing my skin, when suddenly my door swings open.

"Kate?" I hear Bucky's soothing voice over my sobs. I feel arms wrap around me as I continue to cry. "Kate, you're bleeding!" He says, helping me to my feet.

I look down at my hands to find them covered in blood and look up at Bucky. He gives me a sympathetic look before picking me up and carrying me to the bathroom. He cleans my wounds, carefully removing any pieces of glass while doing so, and pours antiseptic on them. I cry out in pain as he disinfects all of the tiny cuts and whispers encouraging things to me. He carefully bandages my hands to contain the bleeding and carries me to my bed.

"Wanna talk about what happened?" He asks, sitting beside me.

"Tony.. He doesn't want anything to do with me." I look down at my hands.

"So you're leaving? I thought this would be a good thing, now you can be with Steve." He says.

"I just need a break from all of this." I look up at him. "I do love Steve, I just.. He started loving me when I was the damsel in distress. When I was heartbroken because of Tony and when I didn't know who I was and couldn't control myself." I sigh. "Tony was the same way. He only loved being the hero to protect me."

"That's not true. They both love you." Bucky argues.

"They barely know anything personal about me." I fold my arms over my chest.

Just as Bucky is about to say something, Steve walks through the open door.

"What's going on in here?" He asks, walking closer to us.

"Steve, what do you like about me?" I ask, straightforwardly.

He raises his eyebrows. "Well.. You're strong both mentally and physically. You have a sense of humor. And you always do your best to help."

"Okay, Bucky, what do you like about me?" I ask, turning to Bucky. Bucky looks at me with wide eyes as Steve furrows his eyebrows.

"I.. I um.." Bucky swallows nervously. "I like how you always speak your mind. You take a while to open up to people but once you do it's beautiful. You always listen to others when they speak, even if you have no idea what they're talking about." He pauses. "I love the way your eyes sparkle when you look at dogs and the cute baby voice you use when you talk to them." A smile grows on his face. "Or how your nose scrunches up when you laugh. And how excited you get when someone brings you food.--"

He continues to speak but Steve cuts him off. "Okay we get it." He crosses his arms. "What is this about?"

"Nothing.. I just needed a little reassurance." I say, smiling at both of them. Steve nods.

"What happened to your hands?" Steve asks, gently holding my hands in his.

"She cut them on some broken glass." Bucky says, Steve's eyes widen. He picks up the smashed picture frame and looks at the picture before looking at me.

"I'm guessing you and Tony aren't on good terms?" He asks, setting the frame down on my desk.

"Not really." I sigh. "I was gonna go away for a few days to just clear my head and think about things."

"What? Why?! You don't have to leave because of him." Steve says.

"I know, but I think that I should. It'll be good for me." I explain briefly.

"If that's what you think then I support you 100%." Bucky smiles at me.

"Me too." Steve says immediately after Bucky.

"Thanks guys." I smile at them.

"Where will you go?" Steve asks.

"I have an idea.."