Finally

Kate's POV

I wake up the next morning with a pounding headache and groan as I turn away from the sunlight. I slide closer to the body next to me and bury my face in their chest.

"Good morning." Steve says, his voice raspy.

"It is definitely not a good morning." I whine.

He chuckles at me. "I'll get you some water and painkillers. You sit tight." He kisses the top of my head before walking out of the room.

I cover my head with a pillow until I hear the door open again. I sit up to see Steve sitting beside me with a glass of water and some pills.

"Thank you." I squint as I take the pills and glass from him. I quickly swallow them and place the glass on his nightstand before laying back down.

"You had quite a night, huh?" He asks, laying beside me.

"I don't really remember much of it." I admit, holding my head as it continues to throb.

Steve pulls out his phone and shows me the video that Tony took of he and I singing on stage. "Oh God." I groan at my actions. I see Bucky jump up on stage and my eyes widen as he pushes Steve out of the way and continues the song with me. "I might need some more pills after watching that."

Steve laughs as he sets his phone down. "I didn't know you could sings so well." He smiles, wrapping his arms around me.

"It's a gift." I shrug. "Not very useful though, it's not like I can fight bad guys by singing at them."

"You're perfect the way you are." Steve hums. "Plus, you have me to fight the bad guys for you."

I sigh at his words, realizing that he still loves to be the hero, but shrug it off. Steve rubs my temples and my head to help wth my growing headache. Eventually I'm sound asleep.

Bucky's POV

I wake up around 1 in the afternoon and gasp. Why didn't anybody wake me up?! I get out of bed and walk across the hall to Steve's room and knock before opening the door. I see Kate fast asleep on the bed but no sign of Steve. I shrug and turn to leave the room but a voice stops me.

"Bucky?"

I turn to face her and see that she's squinting as she holds her head. "That bad, huh?" I ask, she nods. I walk over to her and sit beside her. "Do you need anything for it?"

"Steve gave me ibuprofen not too long ago, thanks though." She says, clenching her jaw at the pain in her head. "I um.. I saw a video of what happened last night."

"There's a video?!" I ask, she nods. I'm going to kill whoever filmed that.

"Bucky, I don't-"

"I'm sorry, Kate." I cut her off. "I'm so sorry for how I acted the past few days. You don't deserve to be treated like that." She stares at me blankly. "I just.. I can't help but be protective and possessive over you. The way I feel for you is just.. I've never felt like this before--it scares me sometimes." I admit. "I just don't want to lose you, but now I feel like I already have."

"You didn't lose me, you'll never lose me. I'm not that easy to get rid of." She jokes to lighten the mood and I stifle a laugh.

"But you don't feel the same anymore?" I ask, afraid of her answer.

"Did I say that?" She asks, I shake my head. "Then stop putting words in my mouth." She crosses her arms.

"But.. Don't you love Steve?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Yes of course I love him. He and I had a deep conversation yesterday, it was nice. I really feel a strong connection with him." She says and I look down. "But it's nothing compared to the connection that you and I have." My head shoots up at her words. "I just don't think you're ready for a serious relationship yet."

"Kate, I-"

"I know it was a mistake and that you didn't mean to get like that but that's something that I never want to experience again. Until you can promise me that, I think we should stay friends." She says softly.

"I promise you." I say, grabbing her hands gently. "I will never, ever, get like that again. Not unless it's with someone who tries to hurt you." I look into her eyes as she stares back. "I love you, Kate. I can't stand not being with you, it hurts my heart. I know I don't deserve it, but I'd really like to be with you.. Officially."

Her eyes widen at my words. "Bucky.. I thought-"

"What do you say, Shortcake?" I ask, still holding her hands in mine. "Will you be my girlfriend? No hiding, no secrets. Just you and me, for real."

I see her eyes begin to water as a smile slowly grows on her face. "Yes, of course." She beams. I press my lips against hers and hold her tightly until she pulls away. "I love you too, Bucky." She breathes heavily and I smile as I catch my breath.

A/N

Thank you guys so much for reading! I hope you enjoyed the story!