Worry

Bruce's POV

"I think I'm dying." Kate says. I feel worry fill my body as I process her words. I grab her arm and pull her into the elevator, pressing the button to the R&D labs.

"Is it okay if I run a few tests?" I ask, she nods. "FRIDAY could you call Tony down here for me?"

"Right away, boss." She speaks. Within minutes, Bruce walks into the lab.

"No!" She says, jumping up from her seat. "I can't.. I don't want Tony to know."

"What? Kate, if something is actually wrong then our best shot at figuring it out is with him." I explain. Just as I finish talking, Tony walks into the room.

"Hey Bruce what's up?" He asks, furrowing his eyebrows when he sees Kate.

"Um.. So.. Kate seems to think that she's dying?" I say more as a question, taking a sample of Kate's blood.

Tony's eyes widen as if in realization. "Extremis." He speaks and I furrow my eyebrows.

"Extremis?" I repeat, he nods. "I thought that was only a theory."

"So did I until I saw the liquid virus with my own eyes." He says.

"Is that how..?" I gesture to Kate and she nods. "So they made a completed version?"

"Well, obviously not if Kate thinks that she's dying." He sasses. "Why do you think you're dying, exactly?"

Kate explains the vomiting, pains, and the uncontrolled glowing to Tony in a bit more detail than she did for me.

"We'll run some tests on your blood to find a cure. Until then, don't exert yourself too much." I instruct, she nods.

"By the way.. I'd appreciate it if you two kept quiet about this." She turns to face us on her way out of the room. "Only you guys and Bucky know so.."

"Don't worry, our lips are sealed." I say. "Right Tony?"

"Anything for you, Kitten." He smiles at her and she walks out of the room.

"Tony." I speak up once she's gone. "I have no idea where to start with this."

"I know." He sighs. "We better get to work."

Steve's POV

"Let us watch a.. What do you midguardians call a moving picture?" Thor thinks for a moment.

"A movie?" Nat asks.

"Yes! That!" Thor cheers.

We all clean up after ourselves before settling in on the couch. The elevator dings and I turn my head to see Kate walking towards us.

"What're we watching?" She asks, plopping between Bucky and I.

"Thor picked some asgardian movie." Clint explains, she nods.

"Where'd you go?" I ask quietly.

"Oh, I was in the lab checking out some new additions to my suit." She explains, I nod.

I notice Bucky give her a look and she kicks him softly with her foot.

***

"I don't get it." Clint complains about the movie.

"It is a higher form of art than your puny minds can understand." Thor teases.

"Yeah whatever. We're gonna watch my movie now." Clint says, turning on the fast and the furious.

Kate groans, making me chuckle. "He always plays this movie."

I brush her hair out of her face and look down at her. "Wanna go for a walk?"

She looks up at me and thinks for a second before nodding. I grab my hoodie and throw it on before walking out of the tower hand-in-hand with Kate.

"What's on your mind?" She asks, looking up at me as we wander the streets.

"You." I admit and she blushes. "I really am sorry about the way I've been acting. I was thinking about it a lot last night and you're right, I do need to do things to make myself happy sometimes."

As we walk, Kate winces. I look at her to find her eyes closed and her hand held to her head.

"Kate? What's wrong?" I worry, holding her head as well.

"Just.. A headache." She says, clenching her jaw. "Maybe we should head back to the tower."

I lean over and she raises an eyebrow. "I'll carry you." I offer, she smiles softly. She jumps onto my back and wraps her legs around my torso.

"What do you say we have our own movie day in my room?" I ask, still carrying her on my back.

"I say that's the best idea you've ever had." She smiles.

The doors open on the 10th floor and I carry her past everyone and into the kitchen. She grabs a bunch of snacks and drinks for us to bring with us.

"What are you two up to?" Sam asks.

"Your movies are lame so we're going to watch our own." Kate sticks her tongue out at all of them.

"Hey! I wanna come!" Bucky yells, chasing us to the elevator.

"Sorry boo bear!" Kate laughs as the doors close before he can jump in.

Once the doors open again, we run to my room and lock the door behind us. "Safe at last." I sigh, setting her down.

We get comfortable on the bed before turning the tv on and picking a movie. Of course Kate wants to watch a chick flick but I don't mind.

A good portion through the movie I get up to go to the bathroom.

"STEVE! HELP!" I hear Kate yell and run out of the bathroom. I hear laughing and the door across the hallway close.

"Bucky? Is Kate in there?" I ask, banging on the locked door. I look back to my door and notice that he kicked it open.

"Who? Kate? Never heard that name before in my life." He tries to hide his laughter. "OW SHE BIT ME." I hear Kate laughing and sigh in relief.

"Let me in." I say, knocking on the door again.

"Sorry no boyfriends allowed." Bucky sings.

"He's not my boyfriend." Kate says. I know it's true but I can't help feeling a little bit upset about it.

"Um.. then no blondes, wait, shit, you're blonde too." He says realizing that Kate is in fact blonde.

"Language!" I shout through the door.

"I got it! Nobody with short hair is allowed in." He says proudly and I groan. "Beat it, punk."

"I'm coming back in an hour to get her." I say, walking away to finish the movie by myself.