Chapter 40

"Where did this storm come from?" Naruto wondered aloud as he shook his jacket off in an attempt to dry it off.

"I'm sorry Naruto-San... If only I sensed it sooner." Wendy said with her head hung low.

"Ah, n-no don't worry about it so much Wendy-Can!" Naruto frantically said to try and cheer the little girl up. "After all, you did find this cave for us to cover ourselves."

One moment they were walking through the forest, talking about his mansion, and the next they were soaked to the bone in a cave in the middle of a thunderstorm.

"Well, it looks like we're gonna be here for a while." Naruto said as he watched the rain pour down from the sky. "So........What do you wanna do now Wendy-chan?"

*Grumble!*

Wendy blushed and held onto her growling stomach, causing the blonde god slayer to laugh.

"Shall we eat then?" Naruto asked the flustered girl, who was now pouting from being laughed at.

"Did You want to go out and find food in this weather Naruto-san?" Wendy asked worriedly. To her knowledge, none of them had packed any food for the trip.

Naruto snickered as he reached into his back pouch, and take out two cups of instant ramen.

"Ramen??" Wendy said while trying to hold back her laughter. Naruto forgot to pack their hot water, so maybe he hasn't noticed that yet.

"Of course! I always keep some instant with me at all times for situations like this." Naruto stated proudly, and handed a cup to Wendy.

Wendy laughed at the blonde enthusiasm, before the previous thought occurred to her. "Ah, how are we supposed to cook it?" She asked and Naruto raised a finger to answer the simple question, but stopped as his hand fell limp to his side.

"I forgot to pack a pot to boil water..." Naruto said while scratching his head in frustration.

After awhile...

after a while, the rain had stopped and somehow they could get out of the forest just in time, before the train  schedule.

As they approached the train station. Everyone picked their scheduled time for a ride to a nearby town for staying the night. Wendy and Naruto were taking the tickets at the counter.

After awhile, the train arrived. Wendy sat on the seat beside Naruto, while having conversation with the blonde god slayer about various things.

The ride was 2 hours before it reaches to the nearby town, it will take time to get there. Wendy was reading the train schedule and the lists of towns, until she glanced at her left and seeing Naruto falling asleep.

He was leaning against the window but the ride isn't as smooth as it is. The train somehow made a slight bump, enough for make Naruto's head to go around and fall unto Wendy's head without waking him up.

Wendy, on the other hand was shocked and couldn't believe what she was seeing, Naruto was really leaning to her, and sleeping next to her. At some point her face lit up, her cheeks were red as tomato. She don't know what to do. She can't just wake him up, he must be tired. Wendy's thoughts were jumbled as she don't know what to do and what not to do.

Her panic somehow faded instantly as she managed to see Naruto's face sleeping peacefully beside her. It was her first time seeing him sleep like that.

He just seemed so- cute and warm. She blushed at her compliment to him. After seeing his face, she leaned closer to Naruto while adjusting her shoulder to his, as their heads meet and Wendy taking a look at Natsu one more time and smiled before closing her eyes and falling asleep.

'It was warm. It gave me comfort no one has ever given to me' Wendy thought before going into deep slumber.

The train was approaching near the station to pick passengers. The sun has set and the night is out but from afar, the passengers can see the bustling lights of a town from the left side of the train. Inside, Wendy woke up thanks to the sound of the train approaching its destination and the driver announcing about the next stop.

Wendy managed to open her eyes and look at her surroundings, before remembering something. She was sleeping and also leaning against Naruto. Having finally realize it, she opened her eyes quickly and felt that she was still leaning on Naruto's shoulder. She turned to her left and saw Naruto already awake and was facing the window calmly.

"N-Naruto-san!?" Wendy spoke silently only for Naruto to hear it.

"You're awake Wendy-chan. Did you sleep well?" Naruto asked upon knowing that Wendy is awake.

"Well I-I did sleep well but I think it was still not enough for me." Wendy replied as she was trying to adjust her surroundings.

"I see. Well we can get a lot of rest when we reach into town. I was trying my best not to wake you up because you were sleeping beside me and you looked peaceful, yet you still woke up because of me." Naruto said to her with a slight regret form his words.

"U-u-umm, m-may I lean to you for a little?" She looked at Naruto shyly. Naruto was a little shocked at her question. He Knew Wendy as some shy girl but decided to let it go to his mind and tried to comfort the sky dragonslayer.

"Sure if you don't feel well then it's okay." Natsu returned with his ever goofy smile which Wendy has seen when he returned safely from Nirvana.

She leaned again to rest before saying something.

"S-sorry for asking any troubles to you, N-Naruto-san." She said silently but those never came past from Naruto's ears and turned to face her worriedly.

"There's nothing you need to be worried about. In fact I kinda like this. It's comforting. After all we're all slayers and we must look to each other so don't feel helpless because I'm here for you, for our friends and our guild." Naruto said as he tries to cheer her up.

Wendy was quite surprised at Naruto's choice of words. She knew that Naruto really cares for his friends and his guild dearly but she blushes because he'll help her as they were both slayers and he'll do anything for her.

"N-Naruto-san" Wendy said before looking up to him once more.

"Now this time again, give me a happy high five?" Naruto smiled again while raising his left hand. The same smile that he always wears that brought Wendy and the other people comfort when they're in the time of depression.

Instead of receiving a high five from her, Naruto was given a hug from Wendy. She hugged him slightly tight before whispering to his left ear.

"Thank you Naruto."

Naruto accepted the hug and hugged her back. "Don't mention it."

Wendy felt the same warmth from the hug that Naruto have given her and She wanted to stay like that a little longer, but she needed to let go because some people can see their affection to each other. After letting go she proceeded to give her high five to Naruto with a cute smile before leaning again to his shoulder.