The Dreary Waiting

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Business was back at its usual rate, just like it had been for the last nine months. It had been consistent since the cause of the problem had been stopped to a degree. The reason stemmed back to the process of negotiation. First, it had been with their daughter secretly, then with them openly and lastly with their daughter openly. It was supposed to return to their agreement with him within a years' time from the starting point of that dreadful game, but it hadn't even been half a year since then, and they already had lost their patience on multiple accounts since they had no idea what was happening to their daughter, (f/n).

Yet when they had received three unexpected deaths from their town, that increased their worry tenfold. And, their patience almost became nonexistent. When they first had heard about how Mae Aquis had died of dehydration, they had thought the death odd, but their worries sky-rocketed when they learned who she had been a babysitter to: those four kids who didn't understand fully what they were meddling with. It didn't help that they recently received news about two of them: Oliver Lahim and Terry Gluson. Most likely, though, Gretchen Hanwater and Leon Airclear were dead also.

Just from hearing the bizarre deaths of the two children, both of them knew that the creature had been behind their demise. Yes, he didn't use his signature five puncture wounds to the heart, but he wanted to hide and didn't wish to give himself away. Still, they didn't know what their meeting with the creature meant for their daughter. Had (f/n) been involved in their deaths? Even if she was, though, they'd still accept her back with open arms, but if that was the case, they worried for her mental state. Already, she had been suffering enough; she didn't need any more, and she hadn't required any to begin with.

And, it wasn't as though they just could forget about the children's deaths and move on. Both of them were in their funeral home. Neither family wanted them to be buried; they wanted them cremated since they didn't wish to view the graphic state that either of them were in. (M/n) had told them that she could apply makeup to their bodies as well as sew the wounds closed. Terry would look relatively like normal, but Oliver was the main issue since his right fingers were missing. Still, neither family agreed to burial, so both her husband and her planned for cremation.

Both children already had been cremated and placed into the urns that each family desired. The services would be held in the next couple of days: Terry's in the morning and Oliver's in the late afternoon. Out of habit, they had removed the internal organs from both bodies and stored them in a freezer where they kept the bodies of the deceased. They never knew if their daughter would lose and both of them would return home early, but they did have a substantial supply of remains in storage for the creature. Hopefully, though, they wouldn't see their daughter until the year of the game was up, but they still were concerned awfully for her wellbeing. If they did see her sooner than expected, they hoped that the creature was dead. Then, they could end the process of storing organs for him.

Sighing over the worrying and morbid state of affairs, (m/n) tapped her pen against the counter of the front desk. She was reviewing their financials for the month, but the numbers were turning into squiggles and blurs from her lack of attention. Technically, she had the day off from business matters, but she hadn't been able to keep herself away; she needed something to focus on, or the concern would set in like a thick, unyielding fog. Unfortunately, it still did take residence in her mind. "I hate him," she mumbled to herself as she supported her forehead against the palm of her left hand.