The Calm Quarter

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

His feet guided him to the front of the office. Deidre was just running back from the bathroom and the vet's office with supplies in hand: cloths with warm water, paper towels, a bag of ice, clean bandages, disinfectant and pain pills. She nodded to him briefly before she moved over to Ren. A chair was placed in front of him while his left leg was propped up and rested on it. Deidre seated herself on a chair next to his foot. Lying down on the chairs beside Ren was Chris. Ren intertwined his left hand with her right in a tight, but not uncomfortable grip as though she would be separated from him again.

Nick scanned over his teammates and felt his energy plummet as his body settled down from the adrenaline prior. He rubbed his sore wrists and ignored the pain in his whole body. There were probably bruises forming almost on every limb of his. Even if he tolerated the aches in his person, he couldn't resist crashing on one of the chairs across from the three of them. His back leaned against the chair's backing, and he released a quiet, exhausted sigh.

Weakly, he closed his eyes as his thoughts of the recent events flooded his mind. Barely, he could process it all, but he was happy that all of them were alive ... hopefully. He tried not to think negatively about (f/n)'s situation, especially since all of their futures depended on her life, but she was in horrible condition. Her body was severely weakened from about two months of torture, and she had five stab wounds through her midsection. How she was still alive, ... if she was, was truly a miracle. Or, she still had that fire burning bright in her underneath the crushing weight of the new creature's abuse.

A loud wince from Ren, though, broke him out of his thoughts, and his brown optics landed on the younger male. Deidre had removed the bandages and was dabbing the wound with one of the warm water towels. Ren squeezed the edge of the chair with his right hand so that he wouldn't disturb Chris. Given the sound that they all had heard when she had hit the wall, she would be in a lot of pain when she woke up. Meeting Nick's eyes, Ren broke eye contact soon after and glanced slightly down the hall towards Ether, who remained leaning against the wall with his arms crossed. Ether also had his eyes closed, but a focused expression was on his countenance. "So, what's going on? Deidre and I heard the commotion, but we couldn't hear everything since Ether was yelling so much."

"The vet's working on (f/n) right now, and Ether plans to ..." He trailed off, and he moved a bit to retrieve (f/n)'s backpack before he took his seat again. Nick zipped open the bag and peered inside. Luckily, probably over three thousand remained. Closing it and pushing it aside, he continued, "He's going to pay the vet." Deidre momentarily paused in her work, and Ren would've looked shocked if he didn't wince again when Deidre regained her composure.

"Sorry," she muttered, dabbing the wound more. "I'm almost done." She appeared hesitant, but neither male mentioned it. Deidre probably was trying to distract herself longer from everything that had occurred and was happening. "You'll need the disinfectant next so that might hurt more."

"It's fine. This probably is nothing compared to what Chris has." His green-hazel eyes glanced down to Chris before they shifted over to her right leg, which looked to have hit the hardest against the wall. Deidre analyzed him for a moment before she nodded and returned to her work. Ren refocused on Nick. "So, what's this about the creature paying the vet?"

"That's what he said, and he said that the vet has two more patients." Nick looked over both Ren and Chris before he concentrated just on Ren again. "... Though, that might change if (f/n) doesn't make it."