The Unlikely Greeting

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

A softness he hadn't felt in awhile met him. It was over and under him: all around him. His right hand twitched, and his fingers curled into the texture. They about melted at the comforting feeling, and a content sigh parted from his lips. He knew what the texture belonged to, but he didn't want to believe it. Or rather, he was in denial that it could be true. Maybe, just maybe if he reached over more, he would ... he would find her there. Everything with Callest would be a nightmare, and she would be there ... next to him ... in the bed they had shared several months ago.

His fingers moved out even more. They felt for her; they wanted to find her. Even if he just could hold her hand for a second, that would be enough to ease his heart and mind. Then, he would know that his life, his home, his pink flower was safe. The creature stretched out his fingers and tried to grasp her, to feel her soothing warmth. When they didn't hold her, they traveled further and further until they met the end of the bed.

He closed his eyes tighter, and he bit his lower lip. Absent. Gone. Taken. She wasn't there, and he tried with his left hand, but it didn't discover her either. The bed only had him on it. Sheets covered him and provided a veil of security against the world of reality. They offered a false hope, but he already had unmasked that fake truth. Everything with Callest was real, and he was waking up back into that harsh world.

It was even crueler than when he had been on his own and in the tunnels. Back then, he had been alone, but he never had a companion. He never had someone who respected him as more than just some creature preying upon humans, than a monstrous thing. Before, he never held a decent conversation with anyone, but she gave him that and so much more. Now without her, he experienced a new depth of loneliness.

Perhaps, it was pathetic of him; perhaps, it took away his terrifying qualities, but he didn't care. It wasn't like she was in hiding and safe; he knew that she was experiencing atrocities that he didn't wish to ponder upon. And, that tore him apart on the inside; it gave him that awful, agonizing loneliness. The kind only felt upon having a loved one ripped away and thrown into the worst imaginable nightmare while not being able to do much of anything but hope for a string of luck.

Lifting his left arm out from under the sheets, he draped it over his eyes. He swallowed saliva roughly in order to hold back a sob while his right fingers clenched the bed. It was so soft and welcoming, yet she wasn't there to greet him in it. She was ... Something rolled down his cheeks. It was warm and wet. The creature knew what it was, but he didn't stop it. Instead, he let more fall silently.

Everything was breaking out of the shadows. It was as though a torrent of rain had sprung up out of the sky and slammed into him. There was no cold snow around to numb him, to keep him awake and to fight his aching body. In its place, there was warmth that wasn't hers. All of his anger from before, from her betraying him, from Callest snatching her away ... all of it was morphing into a painful concoction of misery and anguish at her absence. He really couldn't cast the blame on her, but he also couldn't bring himself to say the truth. Maybe, that would've saved her from the current situation, but it might've also cost him her forever. And, he couldn't let her go. She was his love, and he never would find another like her; he didn't desire to discover another one like her.

Voices broke him from his thoughts, and he lowered his arm steadily from his face. The creature opened his eyes and wiped the tears from his skin. Footsteps approached the door before they stopped, and people spoke in hushed voices right outside, but he still could hear them. He knew who owned the voices. None of their whispers mattered to him, though, since he expected that he would have to explain himself and why (f/n) wasn't ... with him. His game with her almost seemed like some far off dream now. Pretty soon, he imagined that it would become a dream entirely, and, perhaps, it already was. That game had been, in actuality, a ...