The Long Hours

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

"And, done," Ren mentioned, placing the last of the motion detectors. Both Chris and he had a receiver for if the sensor picked up any movement. There was one placed farther up the road and closer to the subway entrance as well as a one nearer to the back alley where they would be waiting. His green-hazel optics looked over to the halfway point between the subway entrance and the alley where a vibration sensor was, and they would just be able to see it light up from the alley if an anomaly occurred.

"It's just a shame that we can't really use the infrared thermometer out here." Chris tucked her hands into her jacket pockets where the two clovers still were. "We'd hit cold spots everywhere with this weather, and the same by the subway entrance."

"Well, Deidre still did run some tests with it for any very cold spots. She didn't come across any. The whole area fluctuates around the predicted temperature for the evening. And, she caught nothing out of the ordinary on the EMF reader."

"And, both we and they have a digital voice recorder as well as a night vision digital camera," Chris pointed out as she rocked back and forth on her heels a little. "Which reminds me, am I operating the camera for us?" Ren nodded, and she hummed back in response as she switched the device on. Her light blue eyes moved over to the subway entrance. "I'm still surprised that Deidre ended up agreeing to watch the entrance with Nick." A slight frown hit her lips. "Do you think that she'll be alright?"

"Yes." There was no hesitation in his response. "Nick will keep her safe, and they have us to fall back on." Ren began to face away from the road. "Come on. We should move to our location. It's dark out now."

"Right." She followed after him. "I wonder if any of the trigger objects will move tonight too." He nodded in response. "Or, nothing might happen," she sighed out, shrugging her shoulders. Then again, part of her did wish for nothing to occur. They set up all of their equipment for catching a ghost or something similar, but whatever had cut those tree roots caused an unsettling feeling to rest in her stomach.

At the same time, they would venture into the subway the day after tomorrow if nothing out of the ordinary occurred, but all of them would have to have the subway paths memorized. If they didn't, they weren't going. There was only one available blueprint, and if they got split up for some reason, Nick desired for all of them to know their way around. He also only was letting them all go in so far; he didn't want to head to the deepest point in case something they couldn't handle was down there.

"But, we might've picked the wrong objects too. The ghost or whatever it is might not react to the toy trains we bought and set up. Still, this case just keeps getting odder," Ren mentioned as he furrowed his brows slightly. They both reached the back alley and leaned against the left-hand wall so that they could see down the old road and towards the subway entrance.

"And if we spot nothing, it might only become stranger."

"Or if we sight or pick up on something and Nick determines it not to be too dangerous, we'll still be venturing into the subway." Ren leaned his head back against the wall. "Part of me is really hoping that the writer was just seeing things, but Nick believing him is what worries me. That probably means that the writer wasn't lying, but I ..."