The Dead Source

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Very pale blues shifting over to her sleeping form, Ether didn't answer. He didn't know. Would she protest against any of his help while she recovered; would she give him that hateful glare of hers? Yes, she had admitted to missing him, but he didn't know what that would look like once she settled down from the intense emotions of their last conversation. "Your eyes are adjusting well, aren't they?" Nick asked that time, his optics diverting over to the table lamp in the room. "Even in the mornings, you've let the sunlight come in with no problems."

At first, Ether thought that he had heard Nick wrong since the conversation topic was seemed so random, especially since the human male already had asked him a question. But, Ether understood Nick's reasoning shortly after. Maybe if he hadn't taken (f/n) from him twice, he might've thanked him. "I suppose, but it still hurts." Ether's eyes briefly drifted over to the lamp. He didn't squint, and he averted his attention to Nick. "I've been tolerating the pain, but I have my sunglasses if I need them."

Nick gave a hum in response before his brown optics switched over to (f/n). Ether leaned back on his chair and sighed. "To be honest, I don't know what's going to happen when she opens her eyes again, but I'm hoping that she has more energy so that she can do some of her daily needs on her own." A small smile met his lips. "It'll be good for her, and she can get a sense of her independence back."

"What about ..." Nick trailed off, trying to think of a different word, but he kept coming back to the same one. "A relationship? That's what you're hoping for, right?"

"Are you trying to encourage that?" Ether asked, releasing a few giggles. He quirked a brow. "I thought that you hated the idea." Nick frowned, and Ether smirked. "Knew it." A frown met Ether's lips, and he almost scoffed. "I don't get why you would ask that, then. Curiosity? Your jealously talking?" No answer met him. "It's probably for her sake, right?" Again, no answer came, and Ether released another sigh and crossed his arms. "You heard our conversation."

Slowly, a smile did touch Ether's lips. "But, we've always been in a relationship, though, on our own terms. Certainly not a traditional one. I can't even call it romantic even if I wanted to since she still doesn't really see me that way." A giggle parted from him. "I don't blame her, but I guess that we've clarified that we're there for each other. We're not friends, but we're not lovers even if I consider her my love." An amused, yet irritated look crossed his countenance. "I guess it falls under that cliché saying of you humans; it's complicated."

"... Yeah, it is," Nick finally replied, brushing back some of his pitch black locks. "I don't know how she's still holding it all together like she is. After everything, she's still able to hold conversation and think about things logically. I barely held myself together with Callest, and if he ... if he ..." Nick trailed off as unpleasant images filled his mind.

"Don't think about that. Your team members are still alive." A slight giggle parted from him. "The new ones anyway." Instantly, Nick shot a wrathful glare at Ether, who only smirked and quirked a brow. "I'd apologize, but I'm not sorry. They were a**holes, and they had it coming. Besides," he leaned over towards Nick, who backed into his chair a little, "we're not best friends or even friends. So, you might want to tell me what else is on your mind before I get impatient with you being in here."