The Ripe Diner

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop. 

No, it couldn't be. (F/n) hadn't even seen a red truck in the parking lot. There only had been the semi and a dark blue truck. She knew that she couldn't keep staring, but she couldn't move her eyes from his direction. Never, did she expect to see him again after the cabin in the mountains; she wasn't supposed to see him ever again. Ether peered around her and towards the male at the table too. His eyes narrowed. He had no idea who the guy was, but his partner clearly did.

"(F/n), who is he?" his tone was low and threatening, which snapped her attention quickly onto him.

"..." Nothing left her lips at first since she was at a loss for words. Fear entered her orbs, and she knew that she only was making the situation worse. What was she supposed to tell him? Oh, that's just the guy who helped me escape the cabin when you left. Yeah, that wouldn't work at all, but her inability to look away from the older human male just landed her in a precarious position. "Just someone I've seen before. That's all." It wasn't a lie; it just was a very vague answer.

"Right." His tone indicated that he knew there was more to it, and she knew that he knew. To her relief, Ether faced the register. "Anyway, let's pay for the gas. We'll talk to him after." That gave her pause, and her eyes stared frightfully at him. "What?" He giggled quietly so that no one but her would hear the sound. "You thought that I just would let him slide after how you looked at him. Not going to happen."

Slightly, her right foot stepped back. "Don't even think about warning him, or there really might be a death here tonight." His quiet words rang loudly and deadly in her ears, and she reluctantly followed after him. Ether smirked at her compliance and continued on the way to the main counter. (F/n) peered over her right shoulder, though, and noticed that whoever he was talking to just got up.

Dark brown curly locks were on the man's head. He looked to be in twenties, though; he also seemed like he could be older. That age increase didn't seem natural. Rather, it looked like stress and terror had added several years onto him. Light green eyes appeared tired and worn out as though he already had seen too much for his short life. His face was sunken in from exhaustion even if there were no bags under his eyes. It was as though he only was hanging on by a thread and that coffee was his way out of his thoughts as well as conversation with someone who understood him. Then again, she had no idea what he was conversing about with the other human male, but it seemed like it hadn't been the most light-hearted conversation.

"See you later, Thomas," the other male spoke as he leaned back on the booth seat. Thomas lifted up his right hand a little bit before he left the building. Ether, momentarily, glanced over to the male, but he didn't go after him. If anything, that was one less person he had to worry about. Besides, the male hadn't even registered that Ether or (f/n) were in the building. His tired eyes had glossed over them as though they were nothing but figments of his imagination. Despite Thomas having worked as a police officer, his troubled thoughts caused him not even to recognize that (f/n) (l/n), one of the survivors of Cankerfell, was in the same building as him.

Thankfully, no one else in the establishment seemed to recognize her either, which would've been a problem, and someone probably would die in the building, then. "Thirty on pump two. Do you need the receipt?" the woman behind the counter asked. Paying attention to their interaction now, (f/n) noted that her nametag had Tabby written on it. The name of the diner was Tabby's Diner. Most likely, she was the owner of the place.