The Runny Wheels

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Keys in ignition. Turn them. Start up the car. All of the simple actions seemed louder than usual even though she was on the very back seat. She tried to stay calm, especially since they had over a day's drive until they reached the factory, but it was hard to keep her mind off of their end destination. Last night, Ether had consoled her a little, but her hands still clenched around her black jeans.

Ether noticed, and he placed a hand over both of hers. He didn't give her a smile, but she understood the gesture enough, and she didn't move his hands. She really did need the extra assurance that things would be alright and that they all weren't driving to their deaths.

Focusing in front of her, she looked over everyone. Nick was driving, and her father was seated on the front passenger seat. Ether wanted both of them to be farther away from him, and he desired Nick to be far away from his pink flower too. For the middle seat, Deidre sat in front of her, Chris was in the middle and Ren was in front of Ether. Every one of them didn't say a word, and there was an understandable tense atmosphere in the car.

It was no surprise that Ether was the only one who looked somewhat relaxed, though; even his behavior was slightly nervous. He was looking out the nearby windows, double-checking for the other creature as an extra precaution. When the garage door closed and they officially were on the road, the dread in the vehicle grew. They really were going through with the plan. None of them, except Ether, had any means of a weapon since the other creature only would use it against them. All of them did have flashlights, which were now a very weak weapon against the other creature, but it at least was something.

Then again, the plan had none of them fighting, except Nick and Deidre. If both of them had a weapon, even catching the other creature off guard, they risked increasing their likelihood of being killed. The other creature already had his nails, and they only had to distract the other creature for a moment. There was no reason for them to try and injure him; that was Ether's job.

Besides the flashlights, they had blankets for when they rested in the car, travel snacks and water bottles. There also were multiple first aid packs. They hoped that they wouldn't have to use them, but more than likely they would have to. (F/n) tried not to picture Nick and Deidre being wrapped in bandages with horribly done stitches underneath, but bloodied limbs infiltrated her mind and refused to leave.

Leaning forward, she rested her head on her hands. She shut her eyes tight and told herself that such a thing hadn't happened yet, especially since she was worried that one of her hallucinations would start up again. With all of Ether's watching this time around, they surprisingly had stopped. Perhaps, it had been because he, admittedly, hadn't been tormenting her or sampling her flesh for dessert. He simply had been taking care of her and making sure that the other creature didn't get to her. Maybe, it was because he was her safety net for the time being, and the safety he did provide kept her mind at ease.

To a degree, though, that should've made things worse with her feelings of guilt, but that talking session they had together back when she was first beginning her recovery ... Perhaps, her admitting her vulnerabilities to him finally released a lot of the negative emotions surrounding such thoughts. Since he accepted her words and she his, maybe, those hallucinations had no hold over her anymore. Those weaknesses no longer were as such. If anything, they brought further agreement between Ether and her. They didn't ruin his reputation of being a terrifying killing machine when he wanted to be, and they didn't force her into loving him.