The Lovely Connections

A/N: As usual, I would recommend putting the video on loop.

Immediately, the phone didn't answer on the other end. (F/n)'s fingers tightened a little around the sheets, and they furthered their grip when another rang sounded throughout the room. "They might not recognize the number," Ether tried to reassure, and she hummed in response. As it neared the last rings, her legs shook a little, and her fingers tapped against the sheets. Her movements would've been more noticeable if her body wasn't so weakened.

"Perhaps, they have a client," she muttered more to herself than to Ether to give herself more reassurance that everything was alright. When no one answered, however, her heart beat faster. Her tormentor knew where she lived; he had seen her on the news. That's how he had recognized her in the very beginning. Multiple times, the news had broadcasted where they lived due to the security that had been placed around the funeral home at the time. At any moment, he could .... he could show up.

Again. She had to type in their number again. Once wasn't enough. They simply were busy and couldn't get to the phone; they had a client, they were burying someone, something that involved work and not being tortured by that awful, horrid male. Like the first time, no one picked up immediately. Her eyes wouldn't leave the phone, and she felt something on her right hand. Briefly, she glanced over and saw Ether's hand over hers. He gave hers a light squeeze, and she simply nodded at him in ... appreciation. A small smile graced his lips before he focused on the phone with her. Finally, the ringing stopped. Someone answered. "Hello?"

Instantly, her heart skipped multiple beats from pure relief. It was her mother's voice. "M-Mom," she croaked out, her emotions wanting to get the better of her yet again. The other line was dead silent. "It's me, (f/n). I wanted ..."

"(F/n)!" she cried out, the fact that the older woman was beginning to cry quite evident. "Then, you're alright! He got to you in time! Thank goodness!" A small smile met (f/n)'s lips, and she was having a hard time not crying. "We were so worried when he told us what had happened." (F/n) glanced over to Ether, who mouthed I went to them for help. She gave a small nod. "Wait a moment. I'm going to go get your father. He'll want the good news."

Before she even had a chance to answer, her mother had left the phone. They both heard running on the other end, and her mother calling out for her father. (F/n) relaxed on the bed, and Ether pulled his hand away even though he didn't want to; he assumed that she would want him to release her hand sooner than later. Right now, he would grant that unspoken request. "(F/n)? Are you really there?" she heard her father say soon after, the sound of his footsteps and her mother's having been brought to her ears.

"I am," she said, almost quietly. It still was hard to believe that she had survived two months of torture and was now sitting on a plush bed calling her parents. What was even stranger was that Ether was sitting beside her, and he hadn't even tried to eat one bite from her; though, that probably had to do with her recovery. After the eight weeks were up, or even sooner than that, she didn't know how much he would like to take from her. She suspected that he would take some at the very least.

A loud sigh of relief greeted her ears, and she heard movement on the other end. Possibly, both of her parents were moving to sit down. "Then, how are you feeling?" they both asked simultaneously. Upon (f/n)'s lips, a tiny smile grew out of amusement. Ether, admittedly, found it adorable; however, he was applying that scenario to his pink flower and himself. That made it all the better.