1.4

Another night of no rest

Another night of no rest. I laid awake thinking about Newt's words. I knew he was right about one thing, the maze was dangerous. But that didn't mean I wasn't willing to risk it all.

I got up before anyone else, the sun was barely noticeable. My hair was up in a ponytail and my shoes were tied tightly.

"You're early, green bean."

I jumped hearing an unexpected voice. I turned around to see one of the runners facing me, it was Minho.

"You know I have a name, right?"

"I know, doesn't mean I can't give you a nickname. Anyways, what are you doing up this early in the morning?"

"Nothing.. I just couldn't sleep anymore."

Another runner came up to Minho, Ben. They were talking about how some of the walls that would've moved. I couldn't hear everything as my eyes moved to the opening in the walls.

The maze, it was so close. If I ran I would be there in seconds. I could vaguely hear Minho asking me a question but I didn't care. It took a split second for my feet to start moving.

It happened fast, my feet moved fast. I could hear people shouting my name but it didn't matter to me. I had made my decision.

...

The maze did justice to its name. It wasn't anything like I had expected. It was dark, cold and I had no clue where to go.

I expected the runners to keep up with me but I managed to get away. Taking a few random turns was enough for me to shake them off.

The walls were extremely tall, some were covered with green veins hanging from them. Some walls had broken off, I wondered how that must've happened.

It was the first time since I got to the Glade that I realized how wrong I had been. There was no easy way out. The maze was nearly impossible to remember, especially if it moved around at night. To me, every wall looked the same.

The hours passed as I kept running. My legs started to feel weak and it felt like I was completely drenched in sweat.

My mind was racing.

Maybe the reason nobody returned after spending the night inside the maze because they had found their way out.

But what if grievers got them first?

Maybe the grievers way in was our way out?

I had to find out. There was no way back, I was far too deep inside the maze.

It felt like I was running in circles, my head was spinning. I had to keep my legs moving but my entire body wanted to collapse on the ground.

The sun was near setting, I almost hadn't realized how long I had been running. The walls were going to close soon which meant the grievers would come out.

I had no idea what to expect. I knew one thing, the grievers weren't exactly going to be my friends.

  Goosebumps formed on my skin as the light from the sun disappeared and the darkness engulfed around me. The warmth was gone as the sunlights went away.

It only took about an hour for it to get completely dark, only the moonlight created the slightest bit of light. I wiped the sweat off my brow with the back of my hand.

Suddenly I froze in place. I could hear a screeching sound not far from me. It sounded like metal on stone. I could almost feel the ground shake underneath me as it moved, slowly but steady. It turned around to look as the source of the sound seemed to approach me from behind.

A black, bulbous and dark creature stood at the very end of the pathway. It was a creature made of metal. It had big shears  and enormous spikes which I imagined could kill me within a second.

It was then that I understood why no-one ever made it out alive. Suddenly it moved and a scream erupted from my mouth.

I forced my legs to move in a high speed. The paths were getting bigger, wider unlike the big density of the paths closer to the Glade. I hadn't seen this part of the maze before.

I breathed heavily and forced myself not to look back at the terrifying creature.

I knew then that I had made the biggest mistake of my life.