1.14

Newt pressed his hands against my closed eyes, keeping me from seeing the surprise

Newt pressed his hands against my closed eyes, keeping me from seeing the surprise. Of course I trusted Newt but I simply hated not knowing what would happen.

"Newt, I don't like this." I reminded him for the millionth time but kept walking. After several minutes of walking we stopped and Newt removed his hands. "Don't open them yet."

He moved away and I could hear some dead leaves cracking underneath his feet.

"Newt—"

"Open your eyes."

A huge smile formed on my face when I saw what it was. We were deep into the woods, away from the others. On the ground laid a blanket surrounded by a dozen candles.

Crickets were heard from around us along with the wind howling quietly through the tall trees. I stepped forwards and grabbed ahold of Newt's hand.

"Newt, this is— perfect."

We sat down on the blanket and stared into each other's eyes. A nervous smile creeped onto my face. He leaned forwards, making me lay on my back. His eyes never left mine whilst our lips were now merely inches away from each other.

"I love you, Julia."

It felt like my heart was going to burst with joy hearing those three words. Never had anyone told me they loved me, not that I could remember but it made me the luckiest girl alive.

"I love you too."

We had the most perfect night together, the best I ever had. I couldn't sleep after it happened and just laid there under the stars wrapped into Newt's warm embrace and the soft blankets.

My head was resting on Newt's bare chest and his heartbeat was calm beating in that melodic rhythm. I grinned hearing him snore a little every other second. At least someone was getting some sleep.

I on the other hand couldn't stop replaying the perfect events of the night. Every touch, every feeling, everything was even more perfect than I could've imagined.

...

After a quick breakfast we found out that Minho and Thomas had gone back into the maze. I was muttering some annoyed words until I saw them running back into the Glade.

Newt, Gally and some others did the exact same thing as me and ran towards the two runners. "What the hell is going on out there?"

We found something, a passage, we think it could be a way out." Thomas answered with a hopeful look in his eyes.

"Really?"

"It's true, we opened a door, something I've never seen before. I think it must be where the Grievers go during the day."

"Wait, whoah, you're saying you found the Grievers' home? And you want us to go in there?" Chuck asked.

"Their way in could be our way out, Chuck." I answered placing a hand on Chuck's shoulder.

"But there could be a dozen Grievers on the outside! The truth is Thomas doesn't know what he's done, as usual." Gally complained, as usual.

"Well, at least I did something, Gally! I mean what have you done, huh? Aside from hiding between these walls all the time?"

"I'll tell you something, Greenie. You've been here three days alright, I've been here three years."

"Yeah, you've been here three years and you're still here, Gally! Alright? So what does that tell you? Maybe you should start doing things a little differently."

"Maybe you should be the one in charge, Thomas. What about that?"

"Hey!" Teresa yelled, earning everyone's attention. "It's Alby, he's awake."

We ran towards the med-hut and found Alby sitting on his bed with is back turned towards us. I stepped towards him and sat down next to him on the bed.

"Has he said anything?"

"No."

Newt kneeled down in front of Alby and asked "Alby? You alright?" Thomas kneeled down next to him. "Alby, we might have just found a way out of the maze, do you hear me? We could be getting out of here."

"W-We can't— can't leave. They won't let us." Alby stuttered eyeing between me and Thomas.

"What? What are you talking about?"

"I remember."

"What do you remember?"

Ably looked directly into Thomas' eyes saying "You, you were always their favourite just like your sister, Julia, always their favourite." Alby glanced at me with disappointment. It stung me seeing him looking at me like that and I hated myself for it.