1.16

I gathered the supplies we needed and stored them in a backpack

I gathered the supplies we needed and stored them in a backpack. Chuck came walking up to me, a suspicious look on his face as he hid something behind his back. I raised my eyebrows and waited for him to speak up. He let out a breathy laugh and revealed something inside his small hands.

"I finished it yesterday, it's the two of us running hand in hand." he explained and handed me the wooden figurine. It were two figures, a small boy with fluffy curls and a petite girl with long hair and dimples in her cheeks. I brushed my fingers along the perfect carved out piece of wood.

I squealed in excitement and pulled Chuck into a bonebreaking hug. He was the only one I could actually hug easily as we were nearly the same height, me being the short midget I was.

"It's perfect, thank you, Chuck. I love it!"

He chuckled nervously, I could see the nerves were overwhelming him and this entire situation was making him frightened. I grabbed his hand and calmly said "Everything's going to be ok, we're going to get the hell out of this place, I promise."

...

"Full of surprises, aren't you?" Gally snapped out Thomas. We were gathered in front of the entrance to the maze. The usual crowd of forty guys had now been reduced to a group of dozen guys. It broke my heart.

"You don't have to come with us but we are leaving, everyone else that wants to come, this is your last chance."

"Don't listen to him, he's just trying to scare you."

"I'm not trying to scare you, you're already scared. Alright, I'm scared. But I'd rather risk my life out there than spending the rest of my life in here. We don't belong here, this place isn't our home. We were put here, we were trapped here. At least out there we have a choice, we can make it out of here, I know that."

I grabbed Newt's hand but my eyes were on Gally's. If only he'd listen for once and come along, to get the hell out because staying here I knew they'd all get killed eventually.

"Gally, it's over, just come with us." I said, quietly but loud enough for him to hear. He looked me in the eyes and opened his mouth to speak only to close it again and form a tight line with his lips. He shook his head and said "Good luck against the Grievers."

I swallowed and with that we began our journey. We turned around and began running. I looked over my shoulder once more and met eyes with the green Glade and the Gladers we left behind but most importantly I met eyes with Gally. I felt a connection with him I didn't understand but still it broke my heart knowing he'd probably die in this place.

...

"Keep it up, guys. We're nearly there." Thomas yelled, trying to keep all of us running. We were running through the area of number seven, the area we got the device from.

I ran along with Chuck and tried my best to encourage him to keep running. His cheeks were red and his breath all over the place but I could only smile thinking about how happy he'd be to get out.

Suddenly we stopped, Thomas held us back and poked his head around the corner of the wall. I could hear something, a vague growl and slowly the sound became clearer and it mixed with the sound of metal against stone.

"Is there a Griever?" Chuck panted.

"Yeah." Thomas and I said in unison. We shared a look and I poked my head behind the wall as well. My eyes spot the black creature and it instantly raised my heartbeat.

Minho gave Chuck the device and told him to take good care of it. I looked over at Teresa and handed her my backpack. I kind of knew my way around the Grievers so I decided to fight along with the guys. She nodded, knowing what I was trying to say.

"It's ok, stay with me." Teresa told Chuck.

"If we get through, this thing will activate and the door will open. If we stick together we'll get through this. We get through this, we get out now or we die trying. Ready?"

"No." I mumbled but grabbed ahold of an axe. I shared a look with Newt, he nodded as if telling me everything was going to be ok.

"Let's go!"

I inhaled sharply and leaped forwards. We revealed ourselves to the Griever. He let out a growl and took a run towards us. I held my breath when our weapons came in contact with the metal armour of the Griever. We worked together and pushed against it with all our strength, trying to push it off the edge of the path.

I gasped as I saw the device falling onto the ground, rolling towards the edge of the path. Chuck was already running for it but I followed and jumped forwards, grabbing ahold of Chuck's legs as he hung on off the edge. I sighed and pulled him back up.

"Open the door!" I ordered. Chuck and Teresa ran towards the door, ready to open the damn thing.

I turned around and screamed at the sight of another Griever. It leaped forwards, its metal rod or whatever was about to hit me in the face. But I had enough and slammed the axe against its ugly head.

"I shucking hate you!' I groaned and to my shock it fell right off the edge, into the darkness.

"There's a code! Eight numbers?"

"Eight numbers— Minho! What's the sequence?" Thomas yelled, busy trying to fight one of the Grievers, it seemed like they were multiplying and coming out of nowhere.

The sequence, the sequence of the maze. Everyday another number opened its doors. This time it was.. "Seven, one, five—" I got interrupted when one of the Grievers legs came in contact with my arm. It made a deep cut into my skin. I held my arm and backed away.

"Two, six, four, eight, three!" Minho continued. Newt came running up to me with a concerned look and pulled me towards the door.

"It worked!"

Everyone one of us ran inside just in time. The Grievers were trapped on the other side of the doors. Suddenly it was pitch black and all I could acknowledge was Newt's hand holding mine very tightly.