1.27

Jorge stopped the truck, cars formed a blockage and we couldn't go any further by car

Jorge stopped the truck, cars formed a blockage and we couldn't go any further by car. We were surrounded by the tall walls of the mountains. Jorge turned the engine off and together we left the truck.

"Well, I guess we're on foot."

We began walking through the car wrecks but something seemed off. It was too quiet and my eyes kept wandering off to the top of the mountains.

Suddenly I heard a loud gunshot, someone was aiming at us. I ducked down behind one of the cars.

"Get down!"

I had only missed the bullet by an inch as it clanked onto the ground close to me. I gasped and poked my head from besides the car to see if my friends were alright.

"Everyone ok up there?" I whisper yelled and immediately got an answer from everyone telling me they were ok. I sighed in relief to hear Newt's voice.

"Drop it! Now, on your feet! Let's go!" I heard a woman's voice. I was still hiding behind the car, thinking of a way to help my friends. I grabbed the knife from the waistline of my shorts and jumped up. I leaped forwards wanting to stab her in the back when something hard hit my chest.

I gasped and collapsed onto the ground, my head hitting the hard road. The firing pain in my chest only amplified with every gasp for air I made. I could hear their voices calling out for me but everything got groggily. After glancing into a certain pair of blue eyes my sight got blurry and the world began spinning.

...

I laid on the soft green grass. I fluttered my eyes open but covered them with my hands in an instant as the sunlight nearly blinded me. I scrambled to my feet and was taken aback by seeing the now abandoned Glade.

I swirled into circles, panicking at the sight of the empty Glade and those walls trapping me inside once again.

"Beyond those walls lie the beginning of your new life, a safe haven." a deep voice spoke from behind me. I twirled around and clenched my fists seeing the tall Janson. "But, safe haven isn't made for killers like you. You failed to protect your friends, you left them behind and ran like a scared little kitten. You left them unprotected. Pathetic scoffs like you don't deserve a place like safe haven."

I shook my head in denial and wiped the tears that escaped my eyes. His lips curled into a devilish smirk "You killed them, this is all on you. Don't deny it, Julia. I know you feel the guilt."

"I'd never do something like that."

He tilted his head back and cackled in a cold manner, making me shiver "But you did, why don't you take a look around?"

I turned around, my face losing all its colour at the sight of my dead friends. Their lifeless bodies laid on the blood covered grass. I covered my mouth as I gasped but when I did my bloodied hands smeared blood across my face.

"This, all of this is on you. You worked with us, you'll always be a part of WICKED. You're a killer, you're a killer, you're a killer."

"Julia?"

"Julia?"

I gasped once I woke up and felt a searing pain in my chest. I grunted in pain, pain I had never felt before, it was almost unbearable. I heard a calming voice in my ear, Newt's voice. It was all I could focus on, it was the only thing keeping me calm.

"It's going to be ok, love. I promise." But his normal steady voice was now shaking in fear. I blinked several times, looking at my surroundings and realising we were driving in a car with high speed. I laid on Newt's lap and felt his hand brushing through my hair in a soothing manner.

A silent tear rolled down my cheek as I met all of their eyes. Seeing their faces made me grateful. If it was my time to go then I was grateful to have spent every last second of it with them. The people I cared about and loved.

"Stay with me." Newt cried "Don't close your eyes!" But my eyes felt heavy and it took everything in me to keep them open. I wanted the pain in my body to stop.

"Can't you drive shucking faster?" Minho shouted in panic at whoever that was driving the car. "We have to do something!" Thomas yelled. I repeatedly heard my name getting called but my eyes rolled to the back of my head and I passed out once again.

What if I died? What was the point? Always on the run for WICKED and never really living? I couldn't just leave my friends behind. I needed to know if they were going to be ok. I couldn't give up yet. I wasn't ready. I had to keep my promise and protect the ones I loved.