1.24

We sat in the middle of the desert, hiding underneath something that used to be a bridge

We sat in the middle of the desert, hiding underneath something that used to be a bridge. Winston laid on the self-made stretcher. He was breathing heavily and looking worse and worse.

I pulled a bottle with little water from my backpack and stepped towards Winston. I kneeled down and brought the bottle to his lips. But Winston shook his head.

"Don't waste it on me."

"Winston, you have to drink something."

"I don't want it!" he yelled all of the sudden. In a split second he pushed me onto the sand and grabbed something from the ground. He held the gun in his hands and aimed it at his head. I gasped and leaped forwards, kicking the gun out of his hands. But Winston had managed to pull the trigger and a loud gunshot was heard.

"What's going on?!"

I climbed to my feet with a shocked face expression. Newt jumped in front of me, shielding me.

"H-He just— he grabbed the gun and— tried to shoot—"

Thomas ran towards Winston with a confused look. Winston coughed and begged "Give it back, please."

"Winston, are you ok?"

Winston started gagging and blood splattered onto the sand. I held my hand in front of my mouth, feeling nauseous at the sight of it.

"It's growing, inside me." Winston cried and lifted his shirt. It revealed the big purple wound on his chest. It was looking painful and his skin appeared to be rotting.

"I'm not gonna make it. Please, don't let me turn into one of those things."

Newt stepped forwards and grabbed the gun.

"Wait, Newt—" but Newt ignored me and gave the gun to Winston. I shook my head, my eyes filled with tears.

"Thank you, now get out of here."

"Goodbye, Winston." Newt stated and turned around. He placed my hand into his and whispered "Let's go, love."

He never I'd never agreed to something like this. I always kept having hope. Just like what happened with Ben, banishing him into the maze was something I could've never done.

Winston nodded, looking me in the eyes for a moment. My lip quivered as I held the tears back and walked away with Newt. I was never close with Winston but he was one of us, he helped us, he was a Glader.

A tear escaped my eye when I we heard the loud gunshot. I froze in place at the realisation, Winston shot himself.

...

"I thought we were immune."

"Not all of us, I guess." Teresa mumbled, making me nervously fiddly with my fingers. We were sitting around a small campfire, trying to keep us warm whilst the sun was gone.

"If Winston can get infected we should assume so can the rest of us." Newt said, making me shiver. I stared into the red flames and swallowed.

"I never thought I'd say it, I miss the Glade." Frypan muttered, silent tears rolling down his cheeks. I went with my instinct and stood up. I sat down next to him, pulling him into a side hug.

"We're going to be ok, Fry. I know we will." I said, earning the looks of everyone else. They looked hopeful but their eyes also beamed with disbelief.

I was scared to death myself but having hope was all that kept me sane. Newt looked me in the eyes, seeing right through me. He knew how I actually felt, he knew me too well.

After several hours everyone had fallen into a deep slumber. I on the other hand couldn't. I kept tossing and turning until I quietly cursed at myself.

I scrambled to my feet and wandered off. I stared at the sky, smiling at the beautiful stars and moon. One of the only things that would never change, no matter how terrible life on the earth would be.

"Can't sleep either?" Thomas asked, walking up from behind me. I glanced at him and smilingly shook my head.

"Have you ever wondered about our parents?" I blurted out before realising I did. Thomas seemed surprised to hear me ask this. He slid his hands into his pockets and looked into the distance as if contemplating to tell me something.

"I have. I had a dream not long ago."

I cocked my head to the side and looked at him with narrowed eyes.

"It sounds weird but I think I saw our mom. She was telling me everything was going to be ok and that she loved us."

"Us?" I asked, tears brimming in the back of my eyes. Thomas nodded and wrapped an arm around my shoulder. I leaned into his touch and smiled thinking about what he said. I knew our parents weren't alive anymore but it I liked thinking they loved us.