1.13

I tossed and turned in my hammock, it was still daytime but everyone insisted I'd get some rest

I tossed and turned in my hammock, it was still daytime but everyone insisted I'd get some rest. They could be overly protective at times, it was like having forty big brothers looking out for their sister.

Without telling me Minho and Thomas had returned into the maze with some other guys including Frypan. They were going to get a good look at the dead Griever, hoping to find anything useful. I would've gone with them but Newt had purposely not filled me in about it.

"Can you at least try to sleep?" Newt chuckled leaning against the tree besides me. I sat up straight and smirked at the handsome blond. "You expect me to sleep whilst you young man stand there lurking at me."

Newt chuckled and opened his mouth to say something when suddenly Chuck yelled that they were back from the maze. I was full of energy and was about to leave my hammock when Newt stopped me by saying "Stay here, will ya?"

I nodded hesitantly but once he turned around to walk away I jumped out of my hammock and ran passed him anyways. "Of course." Newt chuckled.

We went into homestead with all the runners, Gally and Newt. I stood next to Thomas and smiled at him before turning my attention to the unfamiliar device in his hands with a red number on it.

"We found this, inside a Griever."

"Those are the same letter from our supplies."

"WICKED." I muttered in unison with Thomas. The others nodded in agreement.

"They obviously made the Grievers too then. Now, this is the first real clue, first anything you found in over three years, right Minho?"

"Right."

"Newt, we gotta go back out there, who knows where this might lead us?"

"You see what he's trying to do, right?" asked Gally, a frustrated look on his face. I couldn't understand why he hated Thomas as much. "First he breaks our rules and then he tries to convince us to abandon them totally. The rules are the only thing that have ever held us together, why now are we questioning that?"

"if Alby was here, you know he'd agree with me."

"This Shank needs to be punished."

I stood in front of Thomas as a way of protecting me but honestly it looked silly. A small girl like me trying to stand her ground with all those six feet tall guys.

"You're right, Thomas broke the rules. One night in the pit and no food."

"Oh come on, dude. One night in the pit and you think that's gonna stop him from going into the maze?"

"No and we can't just have non runners running into the maze whenever they feel like it so let's just make it official. Starting from tomorrow you're a runner."

"Wow."

"Gally—"

"No, Fry." Gally scowled and stormed out of homestead with Frypan running after him quickly.

It was official, Thomas was a runner.

...

I held onto Alby's hand, not wanting to leave him alone in case he woke up. I knew what it felt like to be alone and it was terrifying. Alby didn't deserve this, he didn't deserve any of this.

He grunted in pain and tossed around on the bed, his eyes closed. I brushed a hand along his arm and comforted him saying "It will be ok, Alby, I promise." If only I could believe my own words.

"Teresa found something in her pocket!" Thomas claimed as he ran inside being followed by Newt, Jeff and the girl. I raised my eyebrows seeing the girl awake and she seemed to be shocked as well seeing another girl.

"Look, it could safe Alby." Thomas explained holding two tubes in the air. They were filled with a blue substance. Newt sighed and shook his head "We don't even know what this stuff is, we don't know who sent it or why it came up here with her. I mean, for all we know this thing could kill him."

"He's already dying, look at him, how could this possibly make it any worse? Come on, it's worth a try."

"Alright."

"Wait, Newt, are you sure?" I asked, worried for Alby's life. Newt placed his hand on my shoulder "Like Thomas said, he's already dying. We have to try."

I nodded in agreement and huffed looking at Alby. I rubbed my hand over his arm in a circular motion, hoping it would comfort him in any way possible. I winched when Alby abruptly opened his eyes and grabbed ahold of Thomas.

"You shouldn't be here! You shouldn't be here!"

I froze in place until suddenly Teresa stabbed the tube into Alby's chest. "What the hell!" I scowled but to my surprise found out that it calmed Alby down and he laid back down on his back. I could feel his heartbeat slowing down.

"Well, that worked."

"Ok, from now on someone stays here and watches him around the clock. I don't want you here alone with him, Julia." Newt said. I was about to protest when Gally walked inside, meeting my eyes for a moment.

"Sun down, Greenie."

I sighed and watched Thomas leave with Gally. Of course Gally wouldn't let a shot of punishing Thomas go. Great, perfect, just awesome.