1.23

"Good, you two are holding hands again cause I was starting to think of a way to convince you two to stop fighting

"Good, you two are holding hands again cause I was starting to think of a way to convince you two to stop fighting." Frypan chuckled.

Newt and I laughed, Newt patted Frypan on the shoulder and opened his mouth to speak when we heard some commotion coming from the hallway.

Newt and I entwined our hands together again and ran out. There were screams coming from the end of the hallway.

"What's going on?"

"I don't know—"

"Run! Go!" Thomas and Minho yelled as they ran around the corner. Behind them were people, wild people acting like beasts. They were chasing Thomas and Minho.

"Oh shit!" Newt said and pulled me with him. We started running but the horrifying growls behind us were terrifying. Whatever they were I got the idea they weren't exactly friendly and I got the feeling they wanted to tear us apart.

I was first in line, trying to escape the monsters but out of nowhere I got separated from my friends. On my left one of the monsters jumped through a window. I nearly fell onto the ground and looked over my shoulder.

"Julia!"

The monster growled at me and climbed to its feet. Blood was running from its mouth and its eyes were dark. I gasped and began running again. I dared not to look over my shoulder and it felt like the creature was right behind me, an inch away from tearing me apart.

I ran and ran until I couldn't even hear my friends anymore, only a dozen wild creatures. I turned around the corner and pushed a door open. I was inside a storage room with boxes and shelves full of random stuff. I pressed my back against the door, keeping the monsters outside but they were pushing against it with much force.

My heart was pounding like crazy and I feared for mine and my friends their lives. I could hear the creatures their nails scratching on the other side of the door.

I twisted my head around the room and on the opposite side of my was another door. I could only hope it was open and led to somewhere safe. I had to take the risk so I took a deep breath and let go of the door. Almost instantly the monsters got inside and chased me once again.

I ran and pushed my entire weight against the door. To my relief it opened with a loud bang. Sweat was dripping down my forehead and I ran up some stairs. When I reached the top of the stairs I pushed another door open and entered a wide dusty space. It was abandoned and filled with old cars.

I had no time to look around and turned on my heels to run again. At the end of the parking lot I could see a strip of light, a way outside. I looked over my shoulder but instead of seeing those monsters there was nobody. I was alone.

I trembled in fear but I couldn't stick around waiting for those monsters to find their way towards me. I ran again and hid under a broken piece of the building.

I pulled my legs up to meet my chest and pressed my face into my knees. I breathed heavily but I tried not to panic. I refused to believe that my friends weren't alright.

"In here!"

I shot my head in the air and nearly jumped in excitement to see my friends. I sighed in relief to see Newt and he let out a long breath of his own. He crawled underneath the rock and pulled me into his embrace.

Thank god they were alive.

...

I woke up wrapped in Newt's arms, my favourite place. I laid back against his chest, feeling his calm breathing on top of my head. I inhaled deeply, smelling Newt's familiar scent.

I flinched when Thomas decided to yell at a bird, making it fly away. Thomas glanced at me with a sly smile. "Sorry."

"Are they gone?" Newt asked making me turn around. He smiled and tugged a strand of my hair behind my ear.

"Yeah, I think we're safe for now. Ok, we should get moving." Thomas replied.

I yawned and tied my hair into a high ponytail. I grabbed my backpack but before I could put it on Newt took it out of my hands and swung it over his own shoulder. I stepped forwards wanting to kiss him when suddenly Winston grunted in pain.

I had almost forgotten about the wounds those filthy creatures had caused. He wasn't looking good, not at all. His face was losing its colour and he looked weak overall. He needed proper medical care.

"Hey, man." Minho said, pulling Winston to stand.

Together we began our journey, to the mountains. The sun was burning on our skin, making me want to hide in the shadows. My skin was dry like a desert and my throat was begging for some water.

We had been walking through the city for several hours, building surrounded us, most of them broken and abandoned.

"What the hell happened to this place?" Frypan asked, breaking the silence for the first time in a few hours. I looked over my shoulder, being first in line like most of the times. I didn't do it on purpose, it kind of always happened. I liked to be on the look out for anything dangerous.

"I don't know. It doesn't look like anyone's been here in a long time." Newt sighed. I looked over my shoulder and shared a look with him.

"I hope the whole world isn't like this."

Then all of the sudden I could hear a weird sound. At first it was vague but it slowly came closer and clearer.

"Whoa! Hang on, stop! Do you hear that?" Thomas asked. I turned around and looked up into the sky but I couldn't see anything.

"Get down! Everybody hide!"

We ran and hid underneath some rocks, belonging to one of the buildings. We were trying to stay as quiet as possible when the loud wicks of a plane was heard from above us. They were still looking for us and I wondered if they'd ever stop.

...

We were standing at the edge of the city, we reached the top of a sand hill. I exhaled deeply and waited for my friends. Thomas smiled at me and wrapped his arm around my shoulder. He pointed at the horizon, there were high mountains far, far ahead of us. They seemed close yet so far away.

"Those mountains, that's gotta be it. That's where were going."

"That's a long way off."

"Then we better get moving."

We began walking until Winston collapsed onto the sand. He was gasping for air, his body was giving up on him.

"Winston!"