~ Chapter 1 ~

Why can't I be a raven?

Ravens are so pretty

They're free

No responsibilities, but full of opportunities. I assume it must be a good feeling. The beautiful bird could be anywhere it wanted to, yet it sits on the window seal of my french class. Who am I to judge? Maybe it's fun for the birds to watch my unraveling as I watch theirs.

I guess I've never asked a bird

"Miss Beckette." 

The bothersome voice of my french teacher tears my eyes away from the birds. Ms. Boucher looks at me expectantly, tapping her foot as she normally does when she waits for someone to answer.

"Yes?" I quirk a brow at her.

Are we really going to do this every time? I have the whole scene mapped in my brain. She taps her foot three times, then asks the question again. Once I give an answer or tell her I don't know, she'll let out a small sigh and shoots me a piercing gaze.

Sometimes she'll even mutter a smart remark as she walks away

"How do you formally ask for someone's name?" She mocks my brow movement, creating one of her own.

"Comment vous appelez-voucher."

I'm not dumb, you're class is just boring

"Tres bien." She sighs, like I knew she would, and turns away.
(Very well)

I swear it takes effort to be such a bitch

I check the clock; there are still thirty minutes left. I look back over at the window hoping to still see the pretty raven. Much to my dismay, the bird is no longer there.

Sad

<3

"Why don't you just switch out of her class?" My best friend, Olivia, comments after I tell her about the interaction with my french teacher earlier this morning.

"It's not that easy, Liv." I sigh, sitting in my seat for our marine biology class. "My father would never let me quit french, plus, it's too late in the year."

My father is a very strict man, extremely shrewd at that. He has solid goals for me once I graduate, and that includes taking four years of french.

"I mean, I can stay after school and help you study today." She suggests, pulling out her binder.

"Really?"

"Yeah, I mean, I need to study for my-"

"Yo!"

Olivia is cut off by some boy in the back of our class, "My friend thinks you're cute."

He gestures to a kid behind him. His friend rolling his eyes. I look back at the boy who spoke. Boys seem to never change, not in highschool at least. I don't know what they get out of messing with people. I'll have to ask one. 

"You're a senior?" I deadpan, "Shouldn't you leave the kiddie shit in middle school."

I hate boys

"Shoot, my fault." He turns back to his friends as they laugh and cut up in the back of the class.

"Vic, don't you know who that is." Olivia hits my shoulder.

I shake my head.

"That's Kaiden Smith's little brother."

"So?" I look at her blankly.