~ Chapter 15 ~

"No, the edges are rigid."

Olivia comments taking the smooth rock out of my hand and writing down on our lab sheet. I roll my eyes. We were doing a small lab for Marine Biology, seeing how saltwater affects erosion on rocks and other objects in the sea.

"I have to go to the bathroom." I tried not to let her hear the irritation in my voice. I notified the teacher before walking out of the lab.

I just took a deep breath. I can be quick-tempered when provoked and I could feel the words that I've been suppressing for a while, trying to come up. I taste the hurtful words on the back of my tongue but I refused to let them hit the air. My temper is the same as my father's. Just one of the things that I hated about myself. It was a gift in some situations, but a demon in almost all of them.

I strolled down the hall, keeping a close eye on the time. I was planning to be gone for ten minutes. I'll cool off and return to the lab with Olivia.

A large warm force is was reminds me that I'm in a hallway. The person's chest really did a number on my lungs. I stood panting, looking for the idiot that walked right into me.

"Sorry," I mumble despite it not being my fault, "My fault."

No, it wasn't

"No, no-" The boy speaks, "My bad, I shouldn't walk and text."

Damn, right

I look up at the boy, my brains take a second to recognize his face. I blame it on the lack of oxygen. The person who bumped into me was the one and only:

Lucas Saunters

"Victoria? Right?" He gestures to me with a friendly half-smile. I nod.

"Congratulations on your father."

I frown, confused about what he meant. He notices, speaking again.

"The wedding," He elaborates, "My dad got the invite a few days ago. I meant to congratulate you earlier, but I guess I couldn't find the chance." His smile never falters.

I had to catch myself, I almost let out a scoff at my father's new martial plans. I remember my place.

"Oh!" I feign surprise, "Of course, I'm happy that my parents have come to an agreement that works best for them. I actually really like my dad's fiance."

Perfect daughter mode: On.

"I'll see you on the fourteenth." He winks.

"You'll be there? I'm sorry, I just didn't know your family had any relation with my father." My father has never spoken of the Saunters, but then again, I don't really talk to my father.

"Not a lot," He answers, "They worked together before your dad decided to run for Mayor."

I nod, shooting him a soft smile. "You'll have to save me a dance."

I start to make my way back to the lab, seeing as this conversation with Lucas has taken up my ten minutes.

"Definitely." He comments behind me.

<3

"We should hang out together for Valentine's day," Mia suggests as she meets us outside. It was the end of the day and we just talking outside.

I sigh, "I can't, my dad is getting married."

"Your parents are getting married again? What, like renewing their vows?" I adore Mia for asking that question.

"No my parents have been divorced for a while." I lie.

"Oh, shit. My bad, I didn't know."

"You're all good." I wave her off. I just appreciate that she asked.

"That's one of my fears." She comments, I chuckle softly.

"What? Your parents getting a divorce?" She nods, I glance at her thoughtfully. "My parents are better separate."

"It's not a big deal-" Olivia cuts into the conversation, biting into her apple. "It might be even better than them being married. I mean, come on, two Christmases."

I shrug, not wanting to start anything with her. I had a small headache and I really just wanted to go home. The only reason why I wasn't walking to my car right now was that I didn't want to be rude. I haven't talked to these girls in a while, even though my feelings towards them have started to change I'm not sure I want to burn bridges. That's not a good idea in high school.

My eyes caught on a group of people standing across the walkway in the student parking lot. They were laughing, not caring about anything. They were having fun. Grey eyes caught onto mine. Immediately the only thing I wanted to do was walk over to them. I wanted to talk to them.

I could help the small smile that played on my lips as I watch the boy monkey around. Axel didn't mouth anything but his stare was welcoming. I could see the colors play in his eyes, he could see I wanted to be over there, yet I wasn't moving. He was curious.

"Who are you looking at-" Olivia asks, turning around. The girls follow her gaze.

"Axel?" She looks at me, "I was just kidding when I was talking about the whole hot thing. They're bad news. He might kill you just for looking at him." She laughs.

Normally I would just brush off that comment. I don't know why I was sensitive to the topic today. This school day for some reason has been a very bad day for us. I couldn't find any common ground with her.

"What? Have you ever even had a conversation with him?" I frown.

She scoffs, "People talk, and rumors don't appear out of thin air,"

"They literally do- like literally,"

"Why are you getting so defensive?" She pauses, a smirk falling to her lips, "Oh, you think he's cute. Vic's got a little crush,"

"I don't see why standing up for him means that I have a crus-"

"You should drop it, it's not going to go anywhere. He's probably a player,"

"Prime - fucking - example! Where have you heard that? You just pulled that out of your ass!" I exasperate. 

"Oh please, you can tell, look at him-"

"That's fitting, isn't? Coming from you." 

"And what the hell is that suppose to mean?" I see her green eyes perk, this is the fight she's been picking at since she woke up. She wanted an argument and I hadn't been giving it to her. I still wasn't. I didn't care enough to argue with her.

"Ponder it."

I walk off towards Axel, now noticing his eyes haven't moved from me. I wonder if he heard what she said about him? 

"Hi." I smile softly as I get close enough to them. The smiles they automatically shoot to me make my heart warm. My small argument with Olivia quickly pushed to the back of my mind.

"Hey! Did you get the video I sent to you?" Scarlette asks from my right. I hadn't even noticed she was standing in the group. It makes sense though.

Good energy seems to vibe together

"Oh my gosh, yes!" I recall the video of the pep rally.

"What's up bitch?" Athena greets me with a hug.

After all the hugs and greets, I ended up next to Axel. His arm resting heavily on my shoulder. I didn't say anything, in too much of a good mood to even comment on it. They continue about a conversation on the fight that was supposed to take place tomorrow night. Only this time it was Kaiden fighting and not Axel.

I happened to be working tomorrow so I'll be there anyway.

"Loverboy's staring again," Axel whispers in my ear. I frown up at him, looking around to find out what he's talking about.

Sure enough,

Lucas Saunters was staring... again