~ Chapter 38 ~

AXEL'S POV

"You should've seen the way she looked at me, bro," Noah was damn near crying in our living room. 

"What do you want me to do about that?"

"Man, what the hell is wrong with you?" 

I look up at Noah, "What are you talk-"

"You're going to get yourself killed!"

I don't say anything. I haven't been very talkative recently. Mostly because I have been at war with myself. I was loathing in self-hatred and I didn't need anyone else to remind me what a terrible person I am. Trust me, I know. 

"How are we going to pay bills?"

"It's not worth it if you're not here." Noah doesn't get angry too often, but today he was pissed. I understand where he's coming from. However, this is the only way I see a way out. 

Fifteen thousand dollars could not only pay for rent but also help us move out and get a house. They just don't see it the way I see it. When I win, we'll all be in a better place. There were a lot of layers to the reason for my decision. 

Yes, I originally sealed the deal out of anger. It goes without being said that I would've gone through with the fight even if Victoria attended the wedding by herself. I just would've told her first. 

"So are you going to tell you what's wrong with you and Victoria?" Tyler jumps in. 

I roll my eyes, "My life doesn't revolve around Victoria," Lie.

"She doesn't even know, does she?"

"Why would I tell her?"

"You're being an ass," Athena crosses her arms at the archway of the living room. 

"The only ass is y'all. I didn't tell you to start treating her different, you decided that on your own,"

"We beat up Saunters, then y'all ran off,"

They ignored me because they know I'm right. I had been short with Victoria unintentionally. I had a burning desire to tell her, but her expression is what I've been avoiding. She would try to talk me out of it and I know with one look into her pleading blue eyes, I would cave. 

I appreciate you, Axel Stone

Her words have clung to me ever since she said them. I felt selfish for taking the deal despite her. I know that my motives are anything but selfish. 

"We don't need to discuss it anymore!" I snapped, "I'm doing it."

They glared at me. I didn't care. I wouldn't let them - my family by choice - struggle the way we've always have. It was this or the streets. It was this or signing a deal with the devil. Trust and believe that I've thought about Marcos' offer ever since it was mentioned. Although my chosen brother, I know that the gang was a part of him now. There was no leaving the gang.

I couldn't and wouldn't do it.

I got up, grabbing my keys, and went out of the door. The air was thick. They wouldn't understand and I don't know how to explain it to them. 

I flew past trees in my car, probably too fast for my own good. I would take my bike, but it reminded me of her. I was trying to push her in the back of my head. Truth is, I did see how she looked at Noah. I wanted to hurt him. After all, ignoring her was not one of the things I had asked of them. 

I asked them not to tell her. They decided themselves what that meant. It would be hypocritical to be mad at him while I was doing the same thing. 

I appreciate you, Axel Stone

I felt so unworthy. I am unworthy. She had little to no one she shared her true self with. What she didn't know is that it goes both ways. I haven't been able to be deep into conversation with her because the urge to tell her everything would be too great. She would be able to smell the deception on me. 

Unknowingly, I pulled over to the overpass we went to weeks earlier. I chuckled at myself lightly. 

Steal Victoria Beckette's heart

That had been my motive a while back. Thinking about it hard now, it seems like the opposite has happened. However, I don't know if it was my heart she stole. 

She might've stolen my conscience. 

She invades it every second of the day. Her scent, her smile, her eyes. I couldn't even begin to explain how much I actually cared for the dark-haired beauty. I care for her. In fact, I care for her so much it pains me to hurt her. I feel physically sick at the thought of her being actually upset with me. 

Not petty anger - but upset.

I would tell her today, right now. I would reassure her that everything will be okay. She'll be fine, I'll be fine. 

We'll be fine

I pulled my phone out, but before I could reach her contact I got distracted. My news app was going insane. It was going insane with her name written all over it. My heart broke in my chest as I read the headlines. 

Soon-to-be Mayor's daughter black and blue?!

Mayor's daughter heartbreaking new post!

Who beat the Beckette's Daughter up?!

<3

"Victoria!"

I was hours away from her house but I got there in thirty minutes. I knew exactly who gave her whatever bruise they were talking about. I couldn't bring myself to look at the pictures in the article. I don't know what I would do to myself. 

She should've called me

I was pounding at the mansion's doors. Not giving a shit about the workers that watched me. Heat boiled at my veins. It churned within me. I wanted to destroy something - someone. I wanted to kill him. What was scary, was knowing I could do that. 

The man I had been waiting for threw open the door. His eyes dark. Probably the same color as when he hit her. I can't even put into words the feeling pulsing through my veins. They hadn't invented a word that did it justice. 

Something clicked in me as I glared into the man's eyes. I saw a flash. For a moment, and a moment only. I saw my own father in him. He and my father shared the same demon. The same thing that polluted their ability to make reasonable decisions. 

I no longer wanted to destroy him, I wanted to find Victoria. 

"Where is she?"

"You have some nerve to come here and start making deman-"

"You have some nerve to hit your daughter, yet here you are," I spit right back at him, "I'm fighting the urge to beat you as you beat her, so please, tell me where she is,"

"You think you can beat me, boy?"

"You don't even know where she is, do you?" The realization hit me. 

I know her better than her own father

I know exactly where she is. I ran to my car. Not without kicking some expensive-looking stone sculpture over, though. I hope that was his favorite. 

The drive wasn't long. I probably could've run, but I didn't want her to be alone any longer. My skin prickled with anticipation of seeing her again. I wanted to hug her. I wanted her back in my grasp and never have to let her go. 

I slammed the door of my car, running into the abandoned park. A large dark bird scaring the hell out of me as it flew away. As soon as my gaze tore from the bird, there she sat. 

"Vic- Princess?"