~ Chapter 18 ~

"You can't even pretend to be a good daughter." 

Is the last statement my father made towards me as I went straight to my room from the limo. I don't think he believes that. If he truly believed I did poorly at the meeting, he would've said something in the limo. 

Maybe its the stress of office that he needs relieving from

If he acts like this during the campaign. I can only imagine what he'll act like if he gets the position Mayor. We'd have to live in completely different houses if I wanted to make it to my eighteenth birthday. 

I wasn't focused on my father right now. I was focused on how I would move forward after the texts from Axel. 

Nothing was going to change

Nothing could be done

I take a deep breath as my back hits my room door. I needed my head to be clear. I needed to straighten out my feelings. I throw open my balcony doors. I don't use this balcony very often because most of the time I didn't want to be seen. However, right now, I needed air. 

The chilly night breeze caressed my arms leaving goosebumps everywhere it touched. The moon was bright and full, it should've been beautiful. I haven't been able to appreciate my surroundings lately. Mostly because I see misfortune in all of it. 

I am so fucking tired of having to be strong all the time

I just want to be happy.

Not confused

Not hurt

Not stressed

Just happy.

I'm trying my hardest not to act how I feel, but it's like everyone around me is always pining against me. I can't do anything right. I'm alone, I'm the only one that cares about me. 

That's such a selfish thing to say, obviously, people have it worse. Look at me, feeling sorry for myself on my private balcony. At least I have a roof over my head for now. I want for nothing. So why do I feel so anxious?

"Victoria." 

The voice behind me breathes. The tone was chilling, not because I was scared but because it was unexpected. I don't even know how he got to my home let alone my balcony. I refuse to turn around. 

"Axel."

"When I asked you who it was," He pauses, "Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because of who it was, Axel," 

"Now that you know, what do you really think you can do about it?" I frown into the moonlight. I had rehearsed this conversation in my head. Nevertheless, I still didn't know what to say. 

"So you're just going to do nothing? Not even contact the police?" He leans against the railing next to me. 

"They'd put my father in jail." I run with his scenario, "Then where do I go? My alcoholic mother?Foster care?"

He stays quiet, shaking his head. 

"I appreciate your concern," I soften my voice, "I do, but this is my life. This is a waiting game."

"So what am I supposed to do? Knowing that your bastard of a father hits you. How could I possibly just walk away-" He glowers at my balcony door. No doubt itching to run in and talk to my father. 

"He doesn't hit me, it was only once," Feeling the old tears on my face, I keep it pointed to the moon. 

"No parent should hit their fucking kid hard enough to leave a bright ass bruise," He spins me towards him, "Especially on your face." 

How to Steal a Heartजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें