~ Chapter 36 ~

The fast-moving lights were hypnotic.

Darkness is beautiful in many ways. Things tend to stand out in the night. Sitting on top of a random overpass, I can see everything. All the cars had a purpose, they were all going somewhere. They all had something to do.

The large buildings stood tall as the lights within them contrasted against the night sky. The buildings were nothing like skyscrapers in real cities. They were not as big, not as senseless.

The sky was dotted with stars. Different sizes and shapes. Some twirled and some twinkled. All of them were mesmerizing, nonetheless. They will always be - every time I run off to clear my mind - the stars will always be there to comfort me.

The stars and my beautiful raven friend.

"You didn't text me," I started randomly, staring up into the sky.

"Do I normally text you?"

"Is that really the tone you want to take?" I gaze at him lazily. "Because we can take it there, but I guarantee you won't like it and will be kissing my ass in apology tomorrow morning,"

"That's usually your job-" He grumbles under his breath. For a split second whatever amorous film my mind had covered him in disappears. However, the aesthetically pleasing night sky and the chilling ghost of the wind; cools my temper enough to let it go. 

"I'm serious, how often do I text you?" He adjusted himself against the fence of the overpass, "You ran out - I let you have your space,"

I paused.

"I didn't run out, I walked," I retort.

"You left," He shoots me a look, "That's the point,"

"I didn't mean it in any way. I was just shocked,"

"It's alright, no one's mad,"

I chuckle softly, cursing myself.

He is so annoyingly smart and articulate. Not to mention he's so smug with it too. I didn't even think about my actions after the kiss. In all honesty, I was on autopilot. I wanted Axel- I want Axel. I would never tell him that, but that's the truth. I want to be where he is, I want to be in his presence. I want a life where it's me, him, and all of our friends. Where we end up doesn't matter.

However, the same problem I've had all my life comes into play. I can't just run away with some boy. I would love to, but it's unethical. Lucas was just one pair of my father's eyes. I don't know how many people he could possibly have watching me.

I should've taken it seriously the first time he hinted at it. Now when I go home, I may never go out again.

"You think too much, Beautiful," Axel chuckles lightly, moving to sit down on the ground next to me. I sigh sadly.

"I just have to know one more thing." Axel nods for me to continue.

"The whole fight with Lucas today, it started because he let something slip," I begin, "He told me that he has an agreement with my father to keep watch over me. Have you ever seen him around? I mean despite the times you've pointed out,"

"I have eyes everywhere, Angel,"

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"I didn't want to freak you out," He answers honestly, "You would have to see it for yourself to believe it,"

I laugh.

"I'm a mess," I shake my head, "Apparently a mess only you can see,"

"Only because I'm looking," He gestures to his eyes. "I see you, there's nothing wrong with seeing you,"