Prison Ghosts.

Wormwood scrubs
Location:London
Known locally as The Scrubs, the Victorian prison is notorious amongst criminals as well as being haunted. Many violent criminals have been held within it's walls and executions too, which would account for the stories that former prisoners are still roaming the corridors.

Guards and their trusty dogs have heard footsteps pacing the passageways but when they turn, nothing can be found. One female guard was patrolling during the 80s and was accompanied with her dog when she heard loud noises coming from an empty cell. As she and the dog approached the cell, the pooch began to snarl and bark at what seemed to be an empty room.

Another spook that haunts the Scrubs is a grey lady. In 1974, when the prison was locked down for the night, a prisoner was left petrified when she manifested in his cell.

In the reception area, the spirit of a young child has been seen wondering around as though he isn't aware of what's happening. Rumour has it that he was executed for theft but judging by his appearance he was poor boy who had no other choice.

Eastern State Penitentiary
Location: philadephia
It's reported that Eastern State Penitentiary is one of the most haunted buildings in America. Built 25th October 1829 it was the first jail to implement solitary confinement and when prisoners came out of their cell they covered their heads with hoods so they couldn't plot an escape.
The guards are said to have tortured the inmates by the mad chair where they would cut off the prisoners circulation or dunk them in water and hang them out to dry in the cold weather until ice formed on the skin. The worst offenders would be put in the hole. The hole was a cell underground with no light and little air.
The solitary confinement system eventually ended due to lack of accommodation for the amount of prisoners that needed to be accommodated for.
During renovations in 1930's 30 incomplete inmates tunnels were discovered but it was on 3rd April 1945 when 12 inmates including famous bank robber Willie Sutton escaped down nearly 100 foot underground tunnel.
As early as 1940's officers and inmates reported unexplained phenomena with ghost sightings increasing over the years especially when it was abandoned from 1971.
In 1996 it reopened as a museum and a Halloween attraction. Visitors still report ghostly goings on from shadow figures , footsteps and cries from cells with cell block 12 being famous for hearing laughter.

 Visitors still report ghostly goings on from shadow figures , footsteps and cries from cells with cell block 12 being famous for hearing laughter

S

taffordshire gaol

Location:Stafford

Over the centuries there have been numerous executions at Stafford Goal. Built in 1794, The roof of the gatehouse was used for executions until 1817 after that they did executions inside the gaol. The gatehouse was demolished in 1952 to help widen Gaol Road.

Executions attracted tens of thousands of people with Dr William Palmer 'Prince of Poisoners' in 1856 attracting 30,000 people. The last execution here took place in 1914.

Stafford Gaol temporary closed between 1914 and 1940, when it reopened during World War Two as a male and female prison. A few years later the female section closed and was used as a young offenders as well as adult resident.

Today, Stafford Gaol is a category C prison for sexual offences since 2014, one of the most well known inmate to stay here is Rolf Harris.

With all the executions that took place on Gaol Road, it's not surprising that a long the wall of the prison is said to be haunted by former inmates.