Chapter 8

Draco refused to go to their tutoring session. He was hiding out in the library, trying to get some work done. He couldn't concentrate, though. He kept thinking about where he could be and what could be happening. Had Potter really been flirting? Maybe he was calling his bluff.

"Malfoy."

Draco looked up from his book and his eyes widened slightly when he saw Harry.

"You're missing our lesson."

"Take a hint," he said, looking down at his book.

Harry sat down across from him. "As far as I'm concerned, we can do our lesson anywhere. Even in one of our rooms."

Draco choked. "Excuse me?"

He smiled and winked. "So, what are we working on?"

"We are not doing anything."

"Yet."

"Would you stop that," Draco snapped.

Harry smirked and Draco's stomach did a flipflop. It was infuriating how sexy he looked right now. Draco was finding it hard not to kiss him.

"Stop what?" Harry asked, innocently.

"You know what."

"Isn't this what you want?" Harry's foot brushed against Draco's leg.

"You're mad," his voice was barely more than a whisper and all he could hear was his heartbeat in his ears.

"I thought you were too but then I got to thinking—what if?"

"What if..." Draco repeated.

"I never really thought about it before. With any guy—"

"Stop, for the love of Merlin," he groaned. "I know what you're doing. You're calling my bluff."

"You know what I think?" Harry leaned across the table. "I think you're afraid. You don't take risks like us Gryffindors."

He scoffed. "Please, you Gryffindors are all wand-waving and no spell."

Harry grinned, settling back into his seat. "Not me. I always follow through."

"Prove it."

Harry stood up and walked around the table. He leaned over Draco, one hand on his chair and the other on the table. Their faces were a mere inch apart, so close that Draco could see flecks of brown in his emerald eyes.

"I don't see any follow-through," Draco taunted.

And then Harry kissed him. Harry's hands fell to his shoulders so quickly that Draco teetered on his seat. Draco reached up and grabbed Harry's shirt in an attempt to keep his balance which resulted in the two boys falling to the ground with Harry on top. Harry's cheeks were red with embarrassment as he tried to get up. All he managed to do was knee Draco in the leg.

Draco put his hands on Harry's hips. "Stop. Let me."

In one fluid motion, Draco flipped them around so he was kneeling above Harry.

"And for future reference," Draco smirked, bringing his lips down to brush against his. "I'm always on top."

****

Harry had been trying to find Draco all day. After what happened in the library, he wanted to see where they were at. But, of course, he was avoiding him. Harry didn't know what he was thinking. Draco had been right that he had been calling his bluff, but when Harry had kissed him, even for that short amount of time...it had felt good. Harry didn't want to admit it the other day, but he might actually be attracted to Draco. Which scared the hell out of him. He wasn't all that surprised to be attracted to a boy (he had suspected as much for a while) but Draco Malfoy? It was some cruel twist of fate.

Especially, with his plan. He couldn't betray Draco after all this. If this was all real. Knowing Draco, he was messing with him. Draco couldn't like him, right? He should just forget about it and move on. There's no way for Harry to find out for sure anyway. Unless...

****

After what happened in the library, Draco hid his room. He knew that Harry would be looking for him and he didn't want to deal with all that. This game they were playing was a new one and Draco didn't like it because there was a chance he could get hurt.

Not that he would ever admit that out loud. He doesn't scare easily, at least on the outside. On the inside, he was nearly always scared. These nightmares didn't help either. They had been growing worse and it wasn't just his family that he saw dead anymore. He needed to find a way to separate himself from Harry. He couldn't grow attached and he knew that if Harry kept on the way he was, that Draco wouldn't have the self-restraint to resist him or himself.

****

Harry hadn't seen Draco in days. He didn't go to meals, classes or their lesson. He was starting to get worried. Harry hadn't meant to scare Draco away. Quite the opposite actually.

He was in the Great Hall, dressed and ready for the Quidditch match against Slytherin. Draco was their seeker but he didn't seem him among the other Slytherins. Harry had heard a rumor that he was bumped from the team because he didn't go to any practices so maybe it was true. Draco wouldn't miss this game if he was a part of the team. Draco was too stubborn and proud.

Ron slumped across from Harry and Hermione, looking pale and nauseous.

"You all right, mate?" Harry asked.

"I don't know if I can do this." He said.

"I know you can. I wouldn't have put you on the team otherwise."

Ron shook his head. "I'm resigning. After this match, McLaggen can take my spot. I'm sure Hermione would appreciate it."

Hermione looked up from her paper. "And what is that supposed to mean?"

"He fancies you and I'm sure you two are going to Slughorn's Christmas party together since he's a part of the Slug Club."

"I was going to ask you to come with me," she snapped.

"Really?"

Before Hermione could say anything, Lavender came over.

"Good luck, Ron. I know you'll be brilliant."

Ron smiled, tentatively as she walked away. "I can't do this."

Harry pushed a goblet of pumpkin juice toward Ron. "Drink this and you'll feel better."

"Hello, everyone," Luna sat next to Ron, wearing a lion's mane. "You look dreadful, Ron. Is that why you put something in his drink? Is it a tonic?"

Harry slipped the vial that was on the table back into his pocket. Hermione looked over at Harry.

"It's liquid luck. Don't drink it, Ron!" Hermione said.

Ron looked down at the cup before taking a large gulp.

Hermione glared at both of them. "You could get expelled for that."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Harry said.

"Come on. We've got a game to win!" Ron said, standing up.

Harry grinned and followed his friend out of the Great Hall.