Chapter 30

Harry forgot to get up the next morning. He was left drained after his conversation with Draco last night and had gone straight to bed. When Ron had tried to get him up this morning, he had waved him off, feigning sickness. Ron didn't seem to think anything was out of the ordinary but he should have known that Hermione wouldn't buy his excuse. A few hours later, Ron was back at his bedside, telling him that Hermione wanted to talk to him.

Harry groaned and rolled onto his stomach. "Tell her I'm vomiting."

"I'm not going to lie to my girlfriend."

Harry sighed. "I don't want to talk."

"What's wrong, mate?"

I'm heartbroken. "I don't know if I can tell you."

"I'm your best mate! You can tell me anything."

Harry sat up. "Maybe it's about time that I told you too but you've got to promise to keep it a secret."

****

Harry was worried that Ron had lost the ability to talk. He kept opening and closing his mouth like a fish. Hermione was surprised as well but not nearly as surprised as Ron.

"I had guessed as much," Hermione said. "You've always been a little obsessed with him and this year I knew things had changed. You never would have agreed to share a dorm with Malfoy if you didn't like him."

"Why did you never say anything?" Harry asked.

"Because I knew you'd tell us when we were ready and—" Hermione nudged Ron so he'd close his mouth. "We support you."

Ron looked in between them. "Look, I don't have a problem that you're gay but Malfoy? What the bloody hell were you thinking?"

"Ron!" Hermione hit his arm.

Harry took a deep breath. "It's not something I could control and we've seriously misjudged him—"

"Bullshit! He's a bleeding prat—"

"Don't talk about him like that," Harry snapped, interrupting Ron. "This is why I didn't want to tell you."

"Because you'd realize that you made a stupid mistake?"

Harry got to his feet. "Go to hell. I care about him and if you can't accept that then don't talk to me."

He went back up to his room and crawled back into bed. Despite everything Draco had said to him, he couldn't help defending him. Harry couldn't blame Draco for not feeling the same as him. They had a great time together and at least Draco had been frank about his lack of feelings. It hurt and Harry would be getting over it for a while but hearing Ron badmouthing Draco had set him off. Draco may not have loved him but Harry did.

****

Draco stuffed the note in his bag, hoping Blaise didn't notice. No such luck.

"Another one? How many is that?"

Twelve. "I've lost count."

"There's got to be something we can do," Blaise replied.

"I've done everything short of asking directly which can't happen. Can you imagine? Hey, I know I've been an asshole to everyone but can you please stop threatening me? Please and thank you."

"Point taken but do these threats even have merit?"

"It will if they send their accusation to the Dark Lord." Draco shuddered at the thought. "I don't want to know what a seconding meeting with him looks like."

"I know what you have to do," Blaise said. "But you aren't going to like it."

"What?"

"It involves Potter."

Draco shook his head. "No, I can't."

"I know it's hard but you said it yourself. The only way that they're going to leave you alone is if you're straight with them. They only way they're going to let this drop is if you fight with Harry. Something public or at least something that people will be talking about."

"What about Harry? I don't know if he'll agree to it."

"Leave that to me."

****

Harry went to class the next day. It was extremely hard because he had to see Draco in almost every class and it was hard to stay composed. Harry was gripping the vial so hard in his hand that Ron was apparently worried he'd break it because he put his hand on top of his.

"Watch it, mate," Ron said. "You're going to ruin our potion."

"Sorry," Harry put the vial down. I'm just distracted is all."

Ron followed Harry's eyes which was on Draco and Blaise. "I guess I don't understand."

"You've been pining over Hermione for years. It's just like that feeling. That feeling of happiness being at your fingertips but never knowing whether that happiness will ever be obtained."

"Bloody hell," Ron's eyes were wide. "I didn't realize it was so serious."

"It was," Harry said, softly. "At least it was for me."

"What does that mean?" What happened between you two? Why'd you break up?"

"I can't talk about it here."

Ron nodded and Harry walked over to get more ingredients. Blaise was in front of him and he turned and intentionally bumped into Harry, slipping something into his pocket, Harry waited until he was at his desk before he opened it. It said: Follow me after dinner tonight ~DM.

Harry's heart raced at the thought. Draco wanted to meet up! Maybe he made a mistake. Maybe he wanted to get back together. Harry could only hope. Even though he had no reason to hope, it was better than having to face the alternative. That Draco didn't love him.