Chapter 40

Harry was sitting on the couch with Draco's head in his lap. He was running his fingers through Draco's hair, his mind wandering to dark thoughts. He was still reeling over the fact that Hedwig was gone and with no one else back, he couldn't help but worry that no one was going to come back.

"Hey," Draco intertwined his fingers with Harry's free hand. "They'll be back soon."

"I hope so. I don't know how much longer I can wait in anticipation—"

They heard a noise outside and then a few people came inside. Draco sat up so Harry could get up and hug Hermione. Kingsley nodded to the pair before walking into the kitchen with Mr. Weasley.

"I'm glad you made it safe. Is Ron here yet?" Hermione asked, pulling back.

Harry shook his head. "Not yet."

Hermione nodded and took a seat at one of the armchairs. Harry sat down next to Draco and all they could do was wait. Eventually, Fred, Bill, and Fleur showed up with bad news. Mad-Eye had been killed. Harry's mind was roaring and he was in too much shock to say much. He hated this. Everyone around him was dying for him and Harry didn't deserve it. He wasn't anything special. Tears filled his eyes and Draco put his arm around him. Harry put his head on Draco's shoulder and let the tears fall silently down his cheeks.

He may not deserve this, but he sure as hell was going to make sure that their deaths won't be in vain. He will succeed in his mission because he's not sure what he would do if he didn't.

****

Draco didn't know how to comfort Harry. There was so much that Harry had lost and Draco didn't know how he was still keeping it together. Harry hadn't spoken since the news and as the minutes ticked away, Draco was afraid that there were going to be more losses. He was relieved when he heard more people outside but the relief quickly faded when he saw that it was one of the twins with his head bleeding profusely.

Harry and Draco got to their feet so they could lay the twin on the couch. One of his ears was missing but it looks as if the blood was mostly dry at least. The Weasleys crowded around the couch and Draco and Harry stepped back to give them some space. Harry was gripping Draco's hand tightly but it seemed like the twin was going to be fine. He was even cracking jokes about it.

Draco turned when he heard footsteps and saw the last Weasley and Tonks stumble into the doorway. Ron ran to Hermione first and hugged her before he noticed his brother.

"Blimey! Are you—"

"It's all right, mate," the twin said. "I'm holey, is all."

"It's angelic, prat," the other twin said, a smile playing on his lips. "You've already forgotten your own awful joke."

"Talk to me when you've got a hole in your head," he chuckled.

"So, he'll be fine," Ron said and turned to Hermione. "Are we still missing anyone?"

"Mundungus fled after Moody..." Hermione hesitated, looking at Harry once before saying to Ron. "Was killed."