Chapter 61

By the time Draco had made it to the front of the castle, a crowd had already formed with Voldemort at the center.

"Harry Potter is dead!" Voldemort exclaimed with a grin.

Draco's ears started ringing and it was so loud that he didn't even hear himself scream. He rushed to the front of the crowd, trying and failing to get a glimpse of what he couldn't believe to be true. It wasn't until he got to the front of the crowd that he saw Harry's limp body in Hagrid's arms. Draco couldn't breathe and his knees gave out. He stumbled and someone caught him. It was Blaise.

"No, no, please Merlin, no," Draco whimpered, tears filling his eyes.

"Draco—"

Draco tried to get out of Blaise's grip but he held firm.

"There's nothing you can do. Draco, I'm sorry but he's gone."

Draco didn't want to listen. He didn't want to believe. Tears were streaming down his cheeks and his heart was in his throat. Draco wanted to run up to them and hold onto Harry. He wanted to sob and kill the bastard who killed him. This couldn't be happening. Harry had survived so much, just to get himself killed. Snape must have known about Harry being a Horcrux. Must have known all along and his memories told Harry. How could Draco be so stupid? Draco was shaking—a mixture of sadness and anger overwhelming him.

"Join us and be spared," Voldemort continued, who had completely ignored Draco's spectacle only to fix his red eyes on Draco once the attention was back on him. "Draco, my boy, I'm feeling generous. Pledge your allegiance to me again and you can join your family. It's where you belong."

He was mocking him—a smirk was evident on his face. He knew. He knew how much Harry meant to him. Draco wanted to kill him as he had never wanted to before. Wanting him to feel the suffering Draco was feeling at this moment.

"Let me go, Blaise," Draco hissed, low and menacing.

"Draco—"

"Now."

Blaise reluctantly let go and Draco started forward, holding his wand stiff at his side.

"You killed my family," Draco growled then threw a spell at him.

The spell landed and Voldemort stumbled. It only worked because he wasn't expecting it. Voldemort hissed and lifted his wand when Harry fell out of Hagrid's arms.

"I wouldn't do that, Tom," Harry said.

Relief flooding through Draco as tears of happiness streaked down his cheeks but he didn't have time to process his emotions. Voldemort turned to Harry and screamed as he threw a spell at him. Harry jumped out of the way and rolled toward Draco.

"Harry!" Draco lifted his wand as Harry turned to him and Draco threw it at him.

Harry caught his wand and threw a spell at Voldemort. Draco pulled out the spare wand from his back pocket and was planning on helping Harry when he was knocked off his feet by a spell. He hit his head against a pillar and his vision turned dark on the edges. He stumbled to his feet just as Nagini started slithering over to him. Draco threw a spell at it but it didn't do any damage. He rolled out of the way as it snapped toward him.

Two people helped him to his feet and Draco saw it was Ron and Hermione. He didn't even have time to thank them as they dove behind a wall to avoid another attack.

"I'll lure it away and give you an opening," Hermione said to Ron before going back into the fray.

She threw a rock at Nagini who hissed and changed its course to follow her. Ron, with a basilisk fang in his hand, started creeping behind it. Ron was about to get the jump on it when a Deatheater appeared behind him. Draco shot a spell at the Deatheater who went flying but it got Nagini's attention. It saw Ron and hissed. Ron lifted the basilisk fang and it disintegrated in his hand. Someone on the stairs above that Draco hadn't seen had destroyed the fang. Nagini took the opportunity to lunge.

Hermione screamed as Ron stumbled back into a pile of rocks. Draco stepped up to help but Neville beat him to it. He had run from the Great Hall, with the Sword of Gryffindor in hand. With a yell, he swung the sword and decapitated Nagini.

****

Harry was locked in a duel with Voldemort when Voldemort stumbled. Harry knew that the snake was dead and for once it wasn't due to feeling pain himself.

"Do you know why that wand never worked for you, Tom?" Harry taunted. "It wasn't Snape's. It belonged to the wizard that disarmed Dumbledore." Voldemort's eyes widened just a fraction. "But a lot has happened in the last few months and it's allegiance has changed once again."

Voldemort snarled. "Avada Kedavra!" He said at the same time Harry said, "expelliarmus!"

The spells locked but it wasn't long before Harry's prevailed. The Elder Wand flew from Voldemort's hand and Harry caught it with his free hand. "It belongs to me."

Voldemort crumbled to his knees. His skin turned a sickly grey and started flecking off into the air like ash before he faded away completely.