Chapter 26

When Harry saw Draco the next morning before they left for breakfast, Harry was finding it hard to keep his temper in check. He had meant to ask him about what he meant about saving him but when he saw Draco, all he could think about was how much of a jerk he had been last night.

"Why can't you ever make anything easy?" Harry growled, his cheeks reddening in frustration.

Draco crossed his arms. "I don't know what you mean."

"I'm trying so hard to move this relationship forward and you keep pushing us back!"

"Maybe you should take the hint."

Harry snarled. "I'm sick of your bullshit. I know you care about me but you refuse to acknowledge our relationship. I get keeping us a secret but you don't treat me like a boyfriend!"

"That's rich coming from you." Draco snapped. "You were literally spying on me yesterday which shows that you don't trust me."

"I do trust you! I trust you enough to not ask any question about what you were doing."

"You would be in no position to ask any questions anyway."

"Debatable but that's not the point. I trust you. Do you trust me?"

"Why would you even ask that?"

"Because," Harry said, frustrated. "You don't act like it. I'm not even sure if I were to walk away that you ask me to stay."

****

Draco stared at Harry in shock as a thrill of panic went through him. Did Harry really think that? After everything? "Of course, I would."

"It wouldn't hurt for you to show it every once in a while."

Draco took a deep breath. "You're right. I'm sorry, okay? It's just that..." He was struggling to find the words. "I'm...I'm afraid to get too attached. I know how this is going to end and if I allow myself to be vulnerable then I'm only going to get hurt."

"Who says this has to end?"

"I don't deserve you, Harry. And one day, you're going to see that too."

"That's not true—"

"It is! You're kind and brave and you're an overall good guy. I'm—"

"All those things and more."

Draco shook his head. "No. I'm the asshole and the bully. I don't deserve to be as happy as I am—"

"If you're so adamant about that then think of it this way." Harry cupped his cheeks. "You make me happy and I deserve to be happy."

"You do but—"

"No buts. You deserve to be happy too but if you're not ready to accept that then hopefully my happiness will be enough to get you to stop being crazy."

"I don't think that's possible."

Harry laughed and the knot in Draco's chest loosened.

****

Harry decided that he should start working on gaining the memory from Slughorn. It had been a few weeks and an Easter holiday. He had waited long enough. At least, this time he had an idea. He had kept the lucky potion for a rainy day but realized that it was the perfect thing to use to get Slughorn to give up that memory.

****

After a long day of classes, Draco was planning on relaxing with his boyfriend but he wasn't at their dorm. Draco decided he might as well work on some homework. He had finally caught up on his schoolwork and was making his way to his rightful place as top of his class (in Slytherin at least).

He didn't know how long he was working when Harry finally came through the door. He was holding a vial with a something swirling and blue inside. He grinned and came and sat beside Draco on the couch.

"Hey, love," he said and kissed him on the cheek.

Draco raised an eyebrow. "You're in a good mood."

"What can I say, I've been very lucky today," he smiled in a way that Draco was sure he was outside of some joke.

"Right...so what do you got in the vial?"

"One of Slughorn's memories."

Normally, Draco would have asked. It was one of those things that needed some context but for some reason, he didn't.

"How was your day?" Harry asked.

"I've had better," Draco said, surprising himself at his honesty.

"Why don't you tell me about it?"

And Draco did. "I've just been tense for the last few weeks. Pansy is sure that there is something going on between us and has been keeping a close eye on us. And then there's Snape..." Draco paused. He was feeling weird inside. He felt like he should tell Harry everything but he also knew that he never wanted to. At least not yet.

"What about Snape?" Harry prompted.

Draco looked into his beautiful emerald green eyes and couldn't think of any reason not to tell him. "Snape was the one that was threatening me. He's friends with my parents and if it were to get back to them that we're still dating..."

Harry understood. "Oh. That makes sense."

The uneasiness in Draco's stomach increased. He needed to get out of here. "I should go shower." He stood.

"Okay," Harry stood up too and kissed him. "I'm going to go to bed."

Draco nodded and headed toward the bathroom. His heart was hammering in his chest but his brain was having a hard time processing why. All he knew for sure was that he had to take a really long shower and make sure that once he got to his room, Harry would be asleep.